Poll: Which keyboard layout do you use?

Which keyboard layout do you currently use or use the most? (Single choice)
  • Qwerty
  • Colemak
  • Colemak-DH
  • Colemak-DHm
  • Dvorak
  • Workman
  • MTGAP
  • qgmlwyfub
  • Asset
  • Norman
  • Qwpr
  • Minimak-8
  • Neo
  • other
0 voters
Which would you like to try? (multiple choice)
  • Qwerty
  • Colemak
  • Colemak-DH
  • Colemak-DHm
  • Dvorak
  • Workman
  • MTGAP
  • qgmlwyfub
  • Asset
  • Norman
  • Qwpr
  • Minimak-8
  • Neo
  • other
0 voters

Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-ups on keyboard layouts I’ve seen!

Here’s a good site that has a neat analysis tool:

https://colemakmods.github.io/mod-dh/analyze.html

The Colemaks and Workman seem most interesting to me…

Our keyboards portal:

1 Like

I tried Dvorak and Workman before landing on Colemak and eventually Mod-DHm.

Colemak just felt the most natural and comfortable. Mod-DH is suppose to be an improvement over standard Colemak and Mod-DHm was recommended when using a matrix style keyboard. I cannot truly speak to it being an improvement as I barely used standard Colemak before switching to it, but I certainly find it enjoyable.

I’ve seen some specific layout mods for programmers for both Dvorak and Colemak. However, I feel once you get a keyboard like the Atreus or Moonlander, really you can optimize your layout to improve your particular workflow.

Here’s my Atreus layout. My layout for the Moonlander mirrors this with a few bells and whistles since of course there more keys. Though, any key that I would access regularly is still placed on the three main rows and thumb clusters.

2 Likes

I almost went for the Atreus based on how lovely it sounds in their promo vid :laughing: but thought I would miss the additional keys because I need to have some for dedicated audio controls - sometimes I need to quickly turn down the volume with one hand as I need to answer phone calls.

So I think I will do what you’re doing and keep the main keys to three rows, and then have the others for things like macros to open applications, audio controls, etc.

I think to begin with I am going to remove the thumb keys and try to get used to it as a just a keyboard - no idea how that will pan out tho :rofl:

Have they told you when your Moonlander is going to arrive btw?

I love the Atreus, but the extra keys will be welcome. The limited real-estate has inspired me to make good use of layers though. This layout was fairly inspirational as well.

I’m in batch 3. I think I was early on in the batch so hopefully in a week or two. But no shipping notice as of yet.

1 Like

Do you think I should stick to the default layout to begin with or, because it’s so different and I’m going to have to get used to it anyway, start with something like the Colemak? I’m wondering whether that might make sense?

I think the way their manufacturing works is based on quantity ordered - so they’re only able to do a run per every 1500 units sold. I think they have about 400 to go before batch 4 meets that so I am guessing I will need to wait a bit for mine. I will by dying to hear what you think of yours :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I felt like this was a good opportunity for me to make a break from qwerty and fix some bad typing habits at the same time. So, it’s not a bad idea to make a switch if that’s something you’re interested in.

Also I’ve found that layouts on a keyboard like the Moonlander are a journey. Over time You’ll continue to make adjustments to suit your taste. Making things more efficient and comfortable.

1 Like

I’ve never really learned touch typing and for me I think this might be the best way to - because if the two halves are far enough apart I won’t be able to cheat as much! :laughing:

I think you might be right, and I am guessing to begin with (like for an hour or two lol!) I’ll try it with Qwerty then will quickly want to change to Colemak. This is just a guess mind - who knows what will happen when it finally arrives. It might even be faulty!! :man_facepalming: :sob: :joy:

How long did you try Qwerty with your Atreus before experimenting with others?

I went straight to Colemak Mod-DHm. After purchasing I started experimenting with layouts to see which one I would use. I never rearranged the key caps though! I didn’t want to be tempted to look at the keys.

1 Like

I can’t remember who said it now, but they said the best thing they ever did was buy a keyboard without printed key caps!

I think I will definitely be trying Colemak Mod-DHm - the heat map certainly seems to indicate the most used keys are in the easiest to type…

I opted for QWERTY, even though I use QWERTZ (German default), just for the reason as its as common as QWERTY in english speaking countries.

I recently tried Neo 2 again, though its hard for me to relearn when I have to use a QWERTZ all the time during my dayjob.

Perhaps I will go all in when I have a week off during holidays and switch the key-caps on my keyboard to make it really a full switch?

Still wondering how I would go for it at work… As computers are shared there and using windows, I have some fear, that I won’t be able to get proper keyboard mappings.

1 Like

From what I’ve heard in the videos and posts I’ve seen, it takes people about 10 minutes to acclimatise back into a different layout.

I’m hearing it takes people about 2 to 4 weeks and some have said they found chatting online helped :laughing:

This is a bit of an investment, but you could get a programmable keyboard. That’s the one I got to take to work. It’s not too bad on price.

1 Like

I would second those who’ve advised bringing a keyboard. A nice 60% travels easily and eliminates any need to tweak settings or install anything that might affect your colleagues.

2 Likes