What are you watching?

Hey it’s Ronan!

Lol, what’s it about? Is it that show where everyone’s blind in the future except for a few people that they try to kill?

1 Like

Yeah - apparently due to a virus or ‘a punishment from god’ :lol:

2 Likes

That didn’t age well, did it? :frowning:

Personally I did not hate Matrix 4. It was an okay action movie that was technically set in the same universe, but it really felt like a fan-made movie. I liked most of the actors, they were quite good and self-aware about the situation they were in (Warner Bros forcing Wachowski to make a 4th instalment basically; that was even said in the movie).

I would want something much more memorable but was aware we were not getting that so I kept my expectations low and ended up being okay with the movie. It’s quite forgettable though…

2 Likes

“No Way Home” was DAMN AMAZING!!!

Biggest fan service movie I ever watched. Loved every minute of it, well almost.

SPOILERS ABOUT "NO WAY HOME" ARE HERE! Plus opinions about scenes.

I hated the part where Spiderman was able to beat Doctor Strange in his own dimension however, and with what? Knowledge about the Archimedean spiral? That felt very forced.

Plus Doctor Strange at that point already has a lot of experience. If he drags you to the mirror dimension the 99.9% odds are you’ll be there for a while.

There were other, IMO better ways to make the younger hero shine. Strange was technically on Spiderman’s side and he had the better idea about what to do so Spiderman rebelling against authority and beating one of the most talented magicians ever was… ehhh. Forced is the only good word that can describe it.

…Not to mention bragging about knowing science… to the friggin’ Doctor Strange?! He was one of the very best neurosurgeons IN THE WORLD, very well known in a very small tight circle of others like him. Feels really weird to flex science knowledge at a guy who knows the names of all the nerves around your spine. :003: (And has photographic memory to boot.)

2 Likes

Invincible was quite alright, I’d give it 8/10.

The black girl that was the girlfriend of the protagonist was super annoying though. And some of the episodes were kind of more fillers than substance. I don’t enjoy sitcoms in general so that might be the reason why I was not impressed by them.

Still though, it was very well executed in general and I ended up liking it a lot while ignoring the things I disliked.

2 Likes

Aston, please. You love EVERYTHING. :003: You’re not a good reviewer!

Seriously though, can you give a little bit more details about what you liked (and maybe disliked) about “Foundation”? Wrap it in an expandable section like I did to prevent spoilers, I’d like to hear some more about it.

I am a big of fan of the books – mostly; the very last one, #7, felt quite full of fillers and super slow-paced and the ending, while very climactic and giving us nice closures, concluded way too quickly and still left a ton of questions. They have super good mini-stories and the general thread is very good though! They are memorable books.

But I am honestly afraid to watch the series, I have to admit! :grimacing:

2 Likes

Tried watching “See”, felt like a combination of a “Survivor” episode sprinkled with some very cringe-worthy religious fanaticism…

I know a lot of people need escapism and to be able to immerse themselves so they forget about their lives for a bit so they are OK with shows dragging on… but to me the show seemed super slow and with annoying elements and I gave up very early.

The bonus of getting older (I’ll be 42 in 1 month!) is that at one point and on you seriously don’t care to force yourself into anything. If it doesn’t grab me and “make” me watch it then I’ll not resist the urge to switch it off and go do something else. Which I did.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed it - still wish Laurence Fishburne could have been in it (but nice that there were flashbacks to him). Also think it was a good move having plenty of flashbacks because that made it feel very connected to the original. The important thing is it’s the ending we all wanted - an opening to an entire Matrix universe that could become as big as the Marvel universe :003:

Haha what can I say I must be easily pleased :lol: seriously tho, I just love sci-fi (but then saying that, I wasn’t fussed on Dune).

I liked that it was different - I’ve never seen that concept before and it made it novel and unique. I’m not sure how it compares to the books tho as I’ve not read them.

I don’t really have any criticism other than the chemistry between the couples wasn’t quite there imo.

Maybe watch the first episode and see how it goes? But maybe keep an open mind and that the series wasn’t intended to just be a visual version? (Tho I have no idea whether that was their intent or not)

Same - I felt pretty much the same with Dune (tho I watched Dune to the end just to see what the fuss was about)

Happy Birthday for next month! :tada:

2 Likes

I am kind of afraid watching that too but I’ll get to it. I never was emotionally attached to it, never watched the original, never read the books – although that I plan on changing, I hear they’re good.

I kind of enjoyed the movie for what it is but seriously, it’s super forgettable. I don’t know. Not impressive at all. The battles kind of felt like Dragon Ball Z – kind of about “who is going to get more pissed and bend reality even better”. :003:

2 Likes

I just finished “All of us are Dead” - not my genre (Zombie + Coming of Age) but I loved it. So I went ahead started watching “Sweet Home” now (similar genre) and put Kingdom in my watchlist.

I haven’t watched any (except, 1) movies in 2022 (2022 is being the weirdest year for me, and it’s only 1 month!). But I did watch, sadly, “The Eternals”.

3 Likes

Hahaha. :003: I keep hearing that. Is it THAT bad?

I don’t mind spoilers.

I think the best way to watch that movie is to just start watching it with zero expectations then it could likely be a semi-entertaining action flick?

3 Likes

Well, I felt like it didn’t make any sense the way they put the story in. I agree introducing so many start studded characters properly and packing them in a 2 hour slot is not easy, but the whole thing felt like a very unneeded and very rectangular block dropped on a chain of round slots. The actions were good, the jokes were not (felt like the attempts at joke made in the JL movie). I wouldn’t say not to watch it, it could be important in this whole multiverse thing they are doing. When you have the liberty to pull things out of thin air multiple universes and make sense out of it, nothing is irrelevant.

I was unable to go with zero expectation, given a decade’s worth time and entertainment received from a coherent Marvel movies. But even if seen in isolation, I’d say it’s the second worst superhero movie I have seen since Iron Man (only Wonder Woman 86 is worse, and Suicide Squad 1 was slightly better).

3 Likes

I’ve already seen it twice and will probably watch it a third time soon! I really did like it :lol:

I have only seen one trailer but am hoping to watch it soon - I hope it’s not terrible :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Just watched the Eternals and I enjoyed it. It’s certainly different, and it definitely deviates a little bit from the tried and tested formula - and while that adds to the charm they should have perhaps gone a bit further. One of the ways I thought it was different (for a superhero movie) is how it highlights some human idiosyncrasies (not in who I was expecting to see them - which is what I though made it different/clever!). It’s subtle perhaps, but it’s there. What I really didn’t like though is them calling the monsters ‘deviants’ - that word has negative connotations having been used as a slur against people who are different, and Marvel really should have known better.

I’ve also been watching The After Party, which has been entertaining! :lol:

And also Suspicion, which I am enjoying as well (both on Apple TV)

Both worth watching imo!

I’m on the last few episodes of Seinfeld, I’ve been watching the series for the past 3 months.
Even though it’s a bit old, it was really funny, I’ll probably miss it.

3 Likes

Just finished Space Force. Also went through some Korean series in between:

Sweet Home
All of us are dead
My Name

Currently watching Kingdom.

3 Likes

Did Anthony Starr got too much into the role of the a-hole Homelander? :003:

2 Likes

^^in time for season 3 by the look of it Dimi! :lol:

1 Like

@AstonJ I also really enjoyed Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I have purchased many of the episodes from iTunes. Also, I had the pleasure of making eye contact with my favorite character, Melinda May, played by Ming-Na Wen in Culver City, CA at a local restaurant. I was shocked to see and make eye contact with her but she smiled back at me. I would have definitely asked her for a selfie if she wasn’t with other people. Finally, I also saw Antoine Triplett played by B.J. Britt when I was hanging out at the Santa Monica Place in Santa Monica, CA. I haven’t seen this fantastic show in 8+ years and it. Thus, it might be a good time to add it to my binge list.

2 Likes

Oh wow I love Ming-Na Wen and she was awesome in Agents of Shield - you’re so lucky you saw her Conrad! Shame you couldn’t get an autograph or pic but still nice to see her in person :smiley:

1 Like