Standing Desks

I don’t really feel like I need height adjustment in the chair, when I can just pull down my desk instead. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

You do not adjust the chair to be able to reach the table, but instead you should adjust the chair that you can sit with upper and lower legs having 90° and the feet rest on the ground. Then you adjust the table such that your upper and lower arms are about 90° when resting on the keyboard.

Details could have changed today, as that info is from ~2010 when I had my last medical advice how to properly set up computer work places in my time with the army (while neither chair nor table was adjustable at all without having to partially decomposing them).

4 Likes

Oh, I meant when I sit on my kneeling chair. :sweat_smile:When I sit in my regular chair, I, too, do the 90° legs and arms thing.

3 Likes

The medical advice I got around 2012 was “the best desk position is the next one” meaning that you should change often during a day how you sit/stand/kneel.

I tend to switch 2-3 times a day. Kneeling in the morning and using a regular chair after lunch. Standing sometimes as well, although I feel I don’t have the same level of concentration when standing as sitting.

4 Likes

Oh I like that, lol

2 Likes

It’s to do with the angle at the knees and hips:

If you have longer legs, or a longer upper body the ideal height for you may be different to someone with a different body type.

However, the great thing about your kneeling stool is that it encourages a rocking motion so I would say is definitely better for people who are only intending to sit on their kneeling stool (and not alternate between standing/cycling etc) :smiley:

Did your stool arrive then? What’s it like!?

3 Likes

Ikea Bekant. Working great as always :smiley:

2 Likes

@dimitarvp - maybe this might interest you. I think I saw this on LinkedIn. It’s expensive though.

2 Likes

I think Dimi ended up buying the ones he posted here - he told me a little while ago he’ll post about them when he gets back :smiley: (he’s currently busy on some stuff).

2 Likes

Another update on my standing desk…

Well, it’s stayed in seating position for quite some time now! :joy:

I think the reason for this is because of its adjustable height, it has allowed me to find the most suitable height to go with my kneeling stool - so it’s become very comfortable. Also what I’m finding now since my exercise bike is right next to my desk, is that when I feel like a break I simply go on that and then catch up with messages or work on a post or emails on my phone (I seem to spend a huge amount of time writing emails - think we need a thread about that!).

So, I’m still glad I bought it, and I’m still glad it’s an electric one (I’m lazy!) but for those who may end up using it like me (more of an adjustable height desk) then perhaps a manual one might be worth a look. I also think I may be more inclined to use it as a standing desk, or the bike under it in the summer… but we’ll see!

Also still waiting for your pics @dimitarvp :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well, I just decided I’ll get one mega-expensive monitor stand from Colebrook-something-something – here – so I can use my gaming display with my Mac without it taking like 30% of the desk space. When it’s hanging on an arm the desk is much cleaner and has much more space for various items.

I’ll also get another dual arm for a laptop and a small external display (USB-based one, 15.6"). I think the setup will become quite good.

2 Likes

That’s a nice monitor arm Dimi! I almost bought one of those for the Mac to sit on as they have a very smooth action.

The one I have for my monitor is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N5FTCJE I ended up getting it as I thought I might get one of those huge ultra wide monitors or an Apple display at some point (probably not going to tho, thinking more about an OLED TV as a second display instead).

Someone with both those arms in the second vid here: What monitor(s) do you have for programming?

1 Like

My standing desk was delivery last week, and I tried to spend most of my day stand up.
My foot killing me and my knee hurts so badly.
But after four days in a row, my fatigue to be stand up reduce increasingly, and I bought a fatigue carpet to help out.

And I like to know with someone doing or bought something to help to be most part of the day stand up.

Answering the questions:

1. I do my brakes around 50 minutes and get rest per 5 or 10 minutes.
  2. I bought the anne pro 2.
2 Likes

I change between sitting, standing and lying. I also take a short break after every 25 or 30 minutes and once or twice a day during these breaks I exercise for 7 to 9 minutes with the Johnson & Johnson official 7 minutes workout app.

3 Likes

I am using an electronic one and I keep changing my position for every 45mins~ 1 hour.
And yes to remind myself, I am do pomodoro technique

3 Likes

I’m still loving my standing desk, tho rarely use it for standing - I alternate between the exercise bike and the kneeling stool mostly (tho periodically change the height/angle, every few days or so).

What do you use DG? Sometimes I take my laptop to bed and use this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T97MHGP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s handy with a MBP because it only needs one cable to be plugged into my monitor (which my usb devices are plugged into) and it charges the laptop too :003:

2 Likes

Does someone use something like a fatigue carpet? Or other things? Can you share with us?

3 Likes

While using my laptop in the bed, I often lie on my stomach, on a couple of soft and one hard pillow. :smiley:
But I don’t stay in that position for very long. I go back to my desk after around 30 minutes.

2 Likes

I never tried to spend most of the day standing, I’m using the desk to change between sitting and standing multiple times a day. Not on a regular schedule, just as soon as something gets uncomfortable.

3 Likes

looks comfy with slight tilt when you back leans abit forward

2 Likes