Standing Desks

I used to have a standing desk at my last company in the Czech Republic, but as soon as I moved to Japan, I had to suffer through three years of teeny tiny desks with barely enough space to put my legs under, paired with minuscule space on the desk itself, barely enough to fit a laptop and a small external display. Until recently, I have been living in apartments of such size that would not allow me to set up a standing desk (or any sort of office desk for that matter) either, but finally, since last month’s moving to a new house, I could go back to a quite comfortable setup, as shown below :arrow_heading_down:

Just like many commenters above me, I definitely can’t stand all day long, but I try to dedicate at least one hour a day to work while standing. In fact, let me start my daily hour just now!

(I really wanted to get a white display to match the keyboard, and to eventually replace the mouse with a white one as well, but don’t even get me started on the availability of reasonable ultra-wide displays in this crazy country. Samsung, for example, is completely dead in this country due to the idiotic stunt their marketing department tried a couple of years ago, and other foreign brands are no longer available here, for whatever reason.)

7 Likes

I must have opted for the cheapest solution ever - I bought a 15€ camping table and put it on top of my desk. I am jealous of all those standing desks posted in this thread though.
According to Andrew Huberman’s Optimizing Workspace podcast alternatively standing and sitting throughout the day is most beneficial approach.

3 Likes

Keep an eye on the sales on Amazon Finner - sometimes they drop quite a bit (I bought mine in the sales). Also if you already have a desk you could use the top and just buy the frame, eg:

4 Likes

My “standing desk” adventure continues:
I have replaced my 15€ camping desk, which was a little too high for the keyboard and mouse, with a lower, 12€, foldable breakfast desk. Now I don’t need stacks of books for the keyboard and mouse.
Going to try it out this week.

2 Likes

Yep! I use one and it literally changes how many times a day and how long I use my desk in the stand position.

2 Likes

How much did it cost you in the sales?

2 Likes

£305.99 reduced from £359… but by the look of it they are now £249 with a further 10% off:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09MZ3JNMZ

(They were originally selling the 112cm height model for £249 - so if that is indeed the 129cm height model that’s a great price!!)

2 Likes

Can’t stand for too long. My feet would kill me.

2 Likes

That will depend a lot on what shoes you are using. Get some very comfortable ones and that will improve a lot. Also it hurts more in the firsts days/weeks until your body gets used to stand up.

2 Likes

You can also get padded mats that make it more comfortable :smiley:

2 Likes

I have the same problem because I am flat footed.

2 Likes

Isn’t it harder to think when standing up, since your legs/feet get tired?

2 Likes

That’s a good indication you need to rest/sit Peter :023:

But yeah, I do find that if you are walking too fast on the treadmill it is harder to concentrate, but if it’s just a slow stroll it’s not too bad.

1 Like

I finally set up a standing desk at my current job (finally after 6.5 years, lol), much better than the one I had at my old job too, it adjust up and down easily. ^.^

3 Likes

Ah nice! Which one did you get? Electric or manual?

I haven’t actually used mine as a standing desk in months - we’ve actually had a pretty decent summer here for a change so I’ve been out hiking pretty much every day. Will get my exercise bike back out when it’s too cold to go out tho and start using it again…

2 Likes

Just a manual one but it’s balanced well so it’s easy to adjust, just squeeze a handle thing on the left side, adjust to height you want by pulling up or down, then release handle. It was one at my work that was got for someone who has left and no one was using it so I asked for it. ^.^

2 Likes

Ah nice - so kinda like a pneumatic one? Don’t think I’ve seen any like that before…

1 Like

Yep, it has a couple little pneumatic cables going to a few cylinders on joints, not a bad thing.

1 Like