Standing Desks

2 questions:

1. Do you have to take sitting breaks from time to time?
  2. Is that keyboard on your desk a plank?
2 Likes
  1. Sitting breaks help my back. So, Yes, I have to take sitting brakes from time to time.
  2. Yes, itā€™s a Planck EZ.
3 Likes

Same for me.

Stretching my hamstrings and going for a five minute walk often does the trick, too.

3 Likes

I think I am going to get one as the wet weather draws in ā€¦but I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be using it for standing :laughing:

Iā€™m actually not a fan of standing, in fact I think there are some concerns relating to professions where people stand all day - IIRC, things like DVT? (I can actually walk for hours tho - yesterday I went for a 5 hour hike up the mountain by my house!) so I think what Iā€™ll do is take off the handlebars off my exercise bike (which I bought recently and have only used twice!) and put that under the desk, then alternate between that and my kneeling stool.

If I donā€™t like that then Iā€™ll get one of those flat treadmills. I actually had one, but got rid of it as I wasnā€™t using it :man_facepalming: (it was a bit chunky tho, so the flat one I linked to above would be much better I think).

Edit: These look pretty good:

2 Likes

I used to use a standing desk for ~5 years at my old job. I love standing to work. ^.^

I should againā€¦

2 Likes

I ordered a standing desk :see_no_evil:

The one I linked to above:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AIMEZO-Electric-Adjustable-Standing-Workstation/dp/B07CXMCFP5

On looking at it again they replaced the faulty motor that was mentioned in the review and the lower price I saw mentioned was actually relating to the smaller version. It has a 5 year warranty so Iā€™m happy to give it a go. It can also take a desk/table top of up to 200cm which is great (though for now in this room I just want to use my existing top). It also goes higher than others I have seen (129cm) which means I should be able to fit my exercise bike under it :laughing:

Longer term, I think I am going to order a standing desk treadmill (Iā€™ll start a thread for those now!)

3 Likes

Iā€™ve so been tempted in those! Saw a cool one that had arm things to work out against too a couple years ago.

1 Like

Get one ODL!!! :laughing:

I started a thread for them here:

I reckon a walking desk, where you walk at a slow pace with the windows open for fresh air, is probably the closest weā€™ll get to an ideal solution :smiley:

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Virtual Desktops (such as xrdesktop)

Congrats, @AstonJ!

Your frame, console, and ā€œbrainā€ look similar to my desk (I went with a bamboo table top).

I think youā€™ll really enjoy it.

2 Likes

Thanks @Ted ! Iā€™ve just finished putting it together and I love it already :nerd_face: I decided to keep my existing top as it is the perfect size for me and for this placement (140cm x 75cm). Whatā€™s the size of yours?

Thanks also to @dasdom for putting the idea into my head and everyone else whoā€™s been talking about standing desks - as you can probably tell I am easily led :see_no_evil: :rofl:

Ok so I have a question for all of you with standing desksā€¦ how high does your desk go (measurement from the floor to the bottom/underside of the top - i.e to determine how much room you have underneath it). Mine goes to 126.5cm to the underside, and 129cm above the top.

4 Likes

Mine will have the same maximum height. When I was trying it in the showroom I found that Iā€™m comfortable typing on a keyboard standing with the desk being at about 112cm or so.

3 Likes

The max height is probably only important if you intend to use a treadmill or bike under it (as those will likely need more room underneath). Iā€™ve just put my bike under mine now and Iā€™ve had to remove the bike controls as they hit the frame underneath (not bothered by not having them tbh).

1 Like

Nice; glad you love it!

Mineā€™s 122cm x 76cm x 2cm.

My max height is 127cm from floor to bottom of desk.

From floor to top-of-desk, Iā€™m sitting at 65cm and standing at 115cm.

I use a Kinesis Advantage2 keyboard, which has a bit of height to it in order to accommodate the key bowls, so with a standard keyboard I imagine those measurements would get a +2cm or so.

But really, perhaps the biggest win for me with a standing desk is the ability to fine tune my sitting height. Standard desks tend to be too high for me, so I end up typing uphill and getting tense shoulders and traps for the effort. :weary:

3 Likes

Thanks for the measurements Ted!

I am finding this too - itā€™s great having a desk where you can get the height just right! :smiley:

2 Likes

Max hight from floor to bottom of desk is 119cm. This is the hight I put it when Iā€™m standing.

3 Likes

I suspect itā€™s going to be the same for me. I will absolutely love to work and even play standing upright part of the day but I am pretty sure that the ability to tune my desk just at the right height so my arms donā€™t get tired is going to be the real investment return here.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s an update on how Iā€™m currently using my standing deskā€¦

Iā€™m finding that since you can adjust the height of the desk I have changed the seat height of my kneeling stool (made it higher) and more in line with the high setting as shown in the middle of this video:

I do that for about an hour or two, then I stand. When I get tired of standing I then roll the exercise bike under the desk use that (and alternative between sitting and standing/leaning on the bike seat). Then towards the end of the day I reverse, go to standing, then finally back to the kneeling stool.

Iā€™m finding that Iā€™m using the stool a lot longer than I was to begin with and Iā€™m also standing longer. Iā€™m not sure whether this is because sitting on a bike seat is not comfortable for long periods (they werenā€™t designed for people to sit on for a long time!) or whether it just isnā€™t as good for you and my body wants to switch to standing instead (perhaps because of effect on things like gut motility, pressure on back, etc).

Overall I am very happy that I bought this desk - I wish I had done it sooner! I would also recommend anyone thinking of getting one to get a motorised unit! Itā€™s so much easier setting your preferred heights in the presets and then just pressing the button (I have 1 for sitting/kneeling, 2 for standing, 3 for the bike and 4 for max height - to allow me to put the bike under it).

How is everyone else alternating between sitting/standing etc?

3 Likes

So your kneeling chair is the Dragonn model in the video?

2 Likes

No I have this one:

I generally prefer wood furniture. It seems to be a similar design - though the Dragonn model does seem to have much better padding. I was going to look at getting the one @ohm ordered, but those donā€™t allow height adjustmentā€¦

If you are going to get a motorised desk, Iā€™d start with the Dragonn or one like mine :+1:

2 Likes