Keyboard Switches - which do you use/like?

Which keyboard switches do you use/like? :upside_down_face:

I always hated my Cherry MX 8100’s spacebar for requiring more force than other keys. Turns out it has a Cherry MX Grey switch while other keys have Cherry MX brown switches. I’m going to try to replace it with a brown switch, but I don’t know if I can install a brown switch’s top in this grey switch’s base or I have to re-solder the switch.

Edit: I replaced the switch and it didn’t require re-soldering. :smiley:

2 Likes

I reckon we need a thread about keyboard switches :nerd_face:

1 Like

I think this thread is enough. Personally, I know little about switches, and can’t write more than two paragraphs about switches.
But if you want to have a thread about switches, we can try to discuss it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

About keyboard switches:

Of all the Cherry MX switches I ever used (brown, black, blue, grey), I hate grey switches. I won’t ever use grey switches, because you have to stand on the key to press it.

I like brown switches among all the four types I used, but I read that red switches require even lesser force (45 centinewton), so I may like red switches more than brown switches.

I also read that silver speed switches require as much force as red switches, but the actuation point and total travel is less than red keys, so I may like those switches the most. But I have to use all of those switches to decide which one works the best for me.

Which switches do you like/dislike the most?

1 Like

I’ve moved our posts to a new thread as I think it could be interesting to a lot of people :smiley:

For me personally, I thought I would have liked brown switches but I felt they were a bit ‘scratchy’/flimsy : /

I am hoping to try Gateron Ink blacks lubed on my next keyboard… so will update this thread when I get them :nerd_face: but I think having used an Apple keyboard for so long I might prefer something like the Ink Blacks - wonder what Apple users usually end up liking when moving to a mechanical keyboard…

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

https://twitter.com/dev_talk/status/1345374297733345283

Share link for this tweet.

Related portal:

I want to have some switches which even if I just tap will register. If there is a switch which requires 20 to 30 centinewton actuation force, that’s for me, and even if I type on those switches for hours, my wrists still won’t get tired. And I won’t mind if I’m not able to type beyond 40/50wpm on those switches. I think in the Cherry MX switches, speed silver is nearer to my requirement.

1 Like

Do you use a wrist rest?

The one thing that worries me most about a mechanical keyboard is that it might hurt or cause RSI. I used to get slight pain when using a PC and a PC keyboard but never experienced any pain with the flatter Mac keyboards…

1 Like

No, I don’t use a wrist rest.

I read somewhere that it depends on many things, including the distance of key travel. If there exist some ideal switches which will actuate with a minor force, just like a tap, and will still go down smoothly if a little more force is applied, instead of giving the fingers a rebound, those switches will be ideal for the fingers and muscles. As I said above, I think among the Cherry switches, Cherry MX Speed Silver are nearer to those ideal switches.

1 Like

You might find then that you are having to hover your hands over the keys - I would personally find that a chore (I prefer to have my wrists resting on something/the desk). I’ve seen some people type while hovering and have always wondered whether they get tired.

I also quite like keyboards with fairly extreme angles for the same reason… here’s an example:

(Apparently that keyboard fetches a couple of grand on the aftermarket!)

2 Likes

Wow, that looks like a really nice keyboard, but of course it’s expensive. :slight_smile:

Actually, my elbows rest on the chair’s hand rests, and my wrists are sometimes on the keyboard platform tray and sometimes not.

I planned to buy a nice wrist rest after reading your reply. Maybe I’m missing something really great. I will find out.

1 Like

I used a cloth (muffler) as a wrist rest, and now I realized that without it typing really was a chore. I’ll be using it for a day or two, till my thunderclap headache goes away and lets me go to the market.
Thank you @AstonJ!

2 Likes

Nice one DG! Glad I was of some help :smiley:

It’s the thing that concerns me most about mechanical keyboards - that you ‘need’ to use wrist rests or may find you get RSI or other wrist pain. It’s certainly making me appreciate this Apple keyboard a little more! :joy:

1 Like

You should also look at Cherry MX low profile switches.

2 Likes

I guess they’ll need different keycaps? (Smaller ones?)

1 Like

A keyboard which comes with low profile switches will be the answer.

https://www.cherrymx.de/en/blog/low-profile-keyboards-overview.html

Yes, these switches need different keycaps.

1 Like

That might explain why they don’t seem to be as popular? Think part of the allure of mech keyboards is being able to get custom keycaps - speaking off… apparently Apple have patented designs for configurable keyboards - with each key having an OLED screen. This could be really great! (We should start a thread for it at some point!)

1 Like

Yes, a thread about that will be great, I’d love to know more about it.

1 Like

On my keyboard Cherry MX 8100, I replaced stems of brown switches with those of black switches. It was a successful experiment. Now these switches are as soft as brown switches but linear, and I like these switches more. :slight_smile:

1 Like