How do you keep fit and healthy?

Looks awesome Rainer!

Post pics @apsori! Australia is a stunning country I bet you have some amazing hikes :003:

From yesterdayā€™s hike:

Hope youā€™re all out enjoying some nice weather too!

1 Like

Started lifting weight again since June. Iā€™m surprised how much the muscle remembers. I used to lift weights back in 2000s. Been feeling a lot better since I started it.

Lockdown saw me gaining 30lbs+ and a pummelled me way below my already lowered shape. I intend to get back by this year.

1 Like

Iā€™ve started doing stuff in the house again as well - mostly with kettle bells. Itā€™s funny that even with light weights you still get the aches if you havenā€™t lifted for a while :lol:

1 Like

I just added 2.5 kg per dumb bell yesterday. Been doing 5 kg. My improvement has been quite satisfactory. If only I could control which fat to burn first.

1 Like

I never used Kettle Bells. Howā€™re they like?

1 Like

One can use them like dumbbells, but done properly the movements are more dynamic and full body. Just doing forward swing can do wonders. Kettlebell Swing - YouTube

Iā€™ve done stuff with good instructors, where weā€™ve done stuff like throws with them, but for most stuff Iā€™d go see Wikipedia and Youtube and check the basic exercises.

What I like about them is getting a good workout besides strength training and the strength is more ā€œfunctionalā€ or holistic, thus being more transferable to sport specific strength than typical barbell lifts.

3 Likes

Thank you! I just saw a few articles written about the benefits of Kettle Bells and they were all in praise. Some of them felt too good to be true in fact. Itā€™s interesting how different weight distribution can repurpose a device.

2 Likes

Donā€™t try this at your local gym.

2 Likes

MCU Loki approves. That IS effective. Thor reluctantly agrees.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be trying thatā€¦ Iā€™d probably drop it on my foot! :lol:

1 Like

After getting horrible backpain some weeks ago I needed to go to physiotherapy, and since then started go swimming one or two times a week.
It was never my favourite sport, but at the moment I like it and Iā€™m grtting better. 50m breaststroke takes me around 1min 24s. My goal is < 1min, and also I want to be able diving 25m. Letā€™s see when Iā€™m there :slight_smile:

Is anyone else here swimming?

1 Like

I loved swimming when I was younger (before I knew what chlorine was!) but I havenā€™t swam in any chlorinated pools for a while now.

I visited a friend a few years ago and she has a jacuzzi in her garden, so I joined inā€¦ but totally regretted it! All that chlorine make me feel sick and I didnā€™t get a wink of sleep all night!! Never again!! :lol:

I like swimming in natural water when itā€™s warm, and might try a pool with a UV/natural filter at some point :smiley:

Luckily the chlorine content is relatively low where I go, but of course I also prefer swimming in the lake.
But as the water temperature there is 5Ā°C I guess that would not be the best idea at the moment :cold_face:

1 Like

Happy healthy new year everyone :partying_face:
Every january Iā€™ve got a ā€œno sugarā€ challenge with friends. Anyone wanna join? :wink:

1 Like

Happy new year to you too Rainer! :smiley:

What does your no sugar month entail? No processed sugars or no sugar/carbs?

Thx :wink:

No processed sugar, so no sweets/dessert, and also no processed food containing sugar (if checking the ingredients of processed food itā€™s often astonishing how much % sugar it has).
Fresh fruits and also carbs are allowed :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been doing that for years Rainer :lol:

Thatā€™s good :grinning::+1:t2:
Wish I had this endurance :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Itā€™s easy Rainer! I havenā€™t had processed sugar for so long that the thought of it now makes me want to :face_vomiting: :lol: