How do you keep fit and healthy?

I have been starting to go out on short walks, but I’m not sure which route to go because I get an average of 2500 steps :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Well that’s precisely the problem, I don’t want to live in the kitchen. I want my cooking for the day to be 1h – 2h if I really have no choice – and be done with that… :frowning:

2 Likes

I started at 114.5 kg (252 lbs) and want to be around 100 kg (220 lbs). It’s about a 12% reduction.

I’ve tried Slow Carb before with great success, but during my PhD years I fell into a black pit and started eating a lot of crap.

Having a cheat day isn’t purely for fun. Tim Ferris has done empirical studies where he’s found that spiking your insulin level once a week helps burn fat. Of course, we gain some weight during the weekends, but it’s usually gone with extras around Wednesday. It also, of course, makes the diet fun.

We’ve begun writing cravings on our whiteboard. We’ll shop for some of them and eat it, but the last cheat day we were so full that we didn’t even eat dinner.

Health is the goal, but I reckon mental health (not going completely nuts over a diet) is as important as physical health. A few carbs once a week won’t affect my physical health, but being deprived of it will affect my mental health.

5 Likes

If you’re new to the area, have a look on Google Maps to see if there are any nice walks/countryside near by? Or… ask people from around the area? :smiley:

Two of your best tools for easy meals are…

• A good steamer
  • An oven!

My staple meals are relatively quick and easy, for example steamed salmon - just put it (and perhaps some cabbage or other veg) in the steamer, time for 20 mins. 5 minutes before it’s done prepare your salad. Every other day prepare fresh dressing (I make my own rather than buy in a jar/bottle).

Oven meals are easy too - just put your meat and veg in, after an hour stir it and then put on anything you might want with it in the steamer.

I’ve become really good and maximising time–nutritional density :joy:

It’s a vicious cycle Ohm, you’ll often hear functional medicine practitioners tell you that it’s not actually you craving some of these foods it’s the bad bugs in you. I think there’s some truth in this, and something I have seen is that after a few weeks people stop craving those foods.

It’s always worth remembering that artificial flavour enhancers such as MSG (and other crap) totally screw your palette, and again, after coming off them for a while and giving your taste buds a chance you will find real food tastes amazing. I love my food! How does steak and oven-cooked squash, courgettes, shallots and mixed herbs sound? Not much tastes better and it’s quick and easy, and one of the first meals I make for anyone who I am trying to introduce to healthy eating - almost all of them are shocked at how good healthy food actually tastes :nerd:

I often advise people to try such a diet for three months (strict)… what’s three months of your life? At the very least you will have tried something new, but, it could also be the best thing you ever did too. (It was for me when I did it, without a doubt one of the best decisions of my life and one that has impacted almost every facet of it). :blush:

2 Likes

Yes, I completely understand you, cardio for me it’s so struggling too, I feel anything before I force myself to start a cardio exercise, my body and my brain always tells me you don’t need this. HAHAHA

I try always a diversify my options, jump rope, squats, jumps, climb, jog in the same place, and I try to increase my heart frequency to getting better and I avoid passing more than 30 minutes

I try to alternate my routine, something like:
Monday: BWF
Tuesday: Cardio
Wednesday: BWF
Thursday: Cario
Friday: BWF
Saturday & Sunday: I try to go outside very early and do a little walking for a few hours in some park, something like that.

3 Likes

Dude, every day? Impossible for me, I am way too out of shape and likely have a few illnesses I’ll have to take care of in the next months.

I’d be ecstatic if I managed to do two cardio + light strength sessions a week.

Yeah, same, but that’s our brain lying to us because it doesn’t want the suffering that precedes the “feeling much better”. I have learned to recognize it. To overcome it – still a long way to go!

3 Likes

How’s everyones fitness going on?

Since some weeks I’m using the freeletics app, I quite like it, doing exercise at morning before work 3 times a week. Helps my back a lot and it’s not as repetitiv as the gym was.

Additionally, as suddenly the awful summer weather turned nice, I got a kajak and went to a lake last sunday :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That looks stunning Rainer! :007:

And good on you for doing Freeletics. I looked at it when Arne’s video went viral but never got into it myself:

My fitness is definitely suffering! We had a couple of weeks of nice weather and I was up the mountain everyday, then a couple of days of nice weather at the start of this week and it’s raining again now!

Here’s a photo of my last walk from a couple of days ago:

I imagine I won’t be getting many more long walks this year :icon_cry: so am glad that I bought a standing desk - it’s definitely been one of my best buys over the last few years.

4 Likes

Some more paddling today :wink:

5 Likes

Looks stunning :007:

1 Like

Start off by going for walks around the block > countryside > then try the gym @jannieka :003:

3 Likes

Not sure if I am that healthy, but I just try to exercise everyday.

3 Likes

Eat everything in moderation. Sleep right. Reduce stress.

3 Likes

That’s so important for the mind and I think to be efficient to have an exercise routine.

I go to the gym 2/3 times a week.
When I’m home, I use Apple’s Fitness application with Fitness+. Truly it’s a very good service they made.

Also when working I try to spend 30 minutes per hour upstanding.

About the food, definitely, I do not bear sugar and refined food, always makes me feel sick, bloated and sometimes very sad.

I try to follow Dr.Ted Naiman P:E Diet. After multiple tries of a ketogenic diet, I always ended up having sugar binges. And fats excess makes me feel sick.

3 Likes

Personally, I like to stick to interval nutrition and exercise. To be honest, I don’t count calories at all. Also drink water with lemon and ginger.

2 Likes

Has anyone heard of this?

Just got it recommended and was wondering what to think about it…

2 Likes

hi @Rainer - yep heard of him. Haven’t taken in his methods fully yet.

Here’s a couple of podcasts with him

2 Likes

I have, tho haven’t really looked too much into it. There seems to be some good science behind it and I’ve done hot/cold therapy for a long time (you can even do it in the shower just by alternating hot/cold - it helps stimulate your lymphatic system). Sauna and then jumping into a cold pool or shower is great too.

I am really missing the sauna and was hoping to build one this year… but all the prices for wood have shot up so I think I might hang on for now…

3 Likes

Today 35km with my ebike and 6km kajak :slight_smile:

That was a good trip :smiley:

3 Likes

Eat right, sleep at least 8 hours a day, walk as much as I can, and no alcohol. :slight_smile:

1 Like