What experienced authors have to say

What I want to share first is the wisdom from a few of our experienced authors and what they have to say about writing. I think one of the most important takeaways is that none of them set out to be authors. Writing a book was just a side effect of being passionate about a topic and wanting to teach others.

So, in alphabetical order, to be diplomatic, here are a few words of wisdom from authors:

Brian Hogan @bphogan

Chris Pine @chrispine

Venkat Subramaniam @venkats

Jay Wengrow @jaywengrow

About me: I have my own little content business called Electronic Document Design. I also help out over at The Pragmatic Bookshelf in the role of developmental editor and author relations.

I’m excited to participate in this new Content Creators forum.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing Margaret - I am sure these will help budding authors. I love the PragProg spotlights too :nerd_face:

Congrats on setting up and running http://edocdesign.com as well! :blush:

Great mission statement:

…our main mission is to help you transition from a paper-based office or home to an electronic, multi-media environment.

I love my Kindle and I really appreciate books that are written with e-readers in mind. In fact this is something I’d love to ask all authors consider when writing; please make your books e-reader friendly. My review of the Ecto book explains what I mean in more detail: Programming Ecto (Pragprog) - #40 by AstonJ - Books - Elixir Programming Language Forum

2 Likes

I was just saying to someone yesterday that I accidentally wrote a book once. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@AstonJ Good points about the flow of text in the article. I can see where putting the code right before or after the explanation, plus showing the output would be handy for e-readers. I also like your points about reducing cognitive load, and the no flipping rule is relevant even for paper-based books. I’d love to see a book about how to write a technical book (and even thought about co-authoring it). Maybe I’d start with how to write a proposal for a technical book. I think pitching your idea to a publisher is quite challenging for first-time authors (and even some experienced authors).

2 Likes

I’m SO glad you had that accident Chris!!!

For me, how you ended the book was incredibly empowering:

Congratulations! You’ve learned a lot ! Maybe you don’t feel like you remember everything, or you skipped over some parts… really, that’s just fine. Programming isn’t about what you know; it’s about what you can figure out. As long as you know where to find out the things you forgot, you’re doing just fine. I hope you don’t think that I wrote all of this without looking things up every other minute! Because I did. I also got a lot of help with the code which runs all of the examples in this tutorial. But where was I looking stuff up, and who was I asking for help?

:orange_heart:

You should win some sort of award for it Chris! I can imagine that that single paragraph had a profound impact on a great number of people. Even though I had committed to learning programming by the time I got to your book, I wonder whether I might have given up when the going got tough had I not read that? I really can’t overstate how powerful that single paragraph will have been to a lot of programmers. Thank you :blush:

That sounds like a really good idea Margaret!!! Do it!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

I have to add an experience from Stephen Bussey @sb8244, author of Real-Time Phoenix #book-real-time-phoenix who has a blog post about his journey to becoming an author.

Takeaways:

• Don’t be discouraged if your initial proposal doesn’t fly.
  • Focus the proposal (and book) on what readers can do. Talk about the problems they can solve, and not the technology itself.
  • Set small writing goals (like a subsection instead of an entire chapter).
  • Establish a pattern for your writing to follow: introduce the topic, present the meat, wrap it up.
  • Watch out for burnout; find ways to get reinvigorated about the topic (Webinars, conferences).
  • What you decide not to include is important too.
  • Be prepared for mental challenges: allow yourself to enjoy other parts of your life without guilt about not writing.

Steve has much more to say, and if you are curious about what it is like to write a book, his insight is fresh, so check it out.

3 Likes

I vividly remember when it became clear that more and more of our books were going to be read on Kindles or the like and Andy Hunt pushed us to question anything that broke the flow of the narrative. Sidebars, code or images out of place, anything. Flow just gets way more important.

2 Likes

That’s awesome @michaelswaine - it’s great to hear Andy was on the ball and ahead of the times… again! :smiley:

Another thing I really liked that you used to do, was automatically send updates to books directly to our Kindles - I loved that!

I think you stopped because Amazon withdrew the service? Actually come to think of it, I think they’ve reintroduced it - IIRC, you just need to add the sender’s email address to your list of accepted senders. Might need to check that but it would be awesome to have that feature back! :blush:

1 Like

@AstonJ I will ask about the automatic updates to Kindles at our next meeting. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like