What dev-related stuff have you been up to?

Currently looking into EventModeling: https://eventmodeling.org/
Sounds like an interesting approach to designing information systems.

3 Likes

How does it compare to EventStorming?

2 Likes

I finished going through the book on Functional Web Development with Elixir, OTP and Phoenix and now slowly going through a newly purchased book on Phoenix LiveView. I think I’m addicted to purchasing PragProg books on Elixir!

3 Likes

A lot of great Elixir books from PragProg. I wish I can buy them all. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Currently going through the PragProg Elixir book “Learn Functional Programming with Elixir”

3 Likes

Hit those giveaways, maybe you can win them all! :wink:

3 Likes

2 things:

3 Likes

I’m attempting to learn functional programming…again. I attempted Elm about a year or so ago but it just didn’t stick. Currently working through a couple of Elixir books:

Elixir in Action from Manning:

Designing Elixir Systems with OTP from PragProg:

So far, I’m really enjoying Elixir as it is making a good bit more sense to my brain. Hopefully I can find a small side project so I can really use it soon. I’m thinking maybe something with Nerves. I have a couple of side projects that a colleague built with Python so maybe I could rebuild them with Elixir and Nerves. That could be a fun learning experience.

3 Likes

Wrestling with the intricacies of bundler – mainly why the fsck won’t it let me install a gem that I have as a .gem file already? I have workarounds but just letting me list the file would be much more convenient. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Great suggestion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have a solid plan of action to level my fundamentals of Elixir/Phoenix!
1: Complete a for-fun Elixir project I’ve thought of(hashing program). Focus on testing practices and Elixir best practices based on textbooks I’ve purchased from Manning Publications
2: Run through basics of Phoenix framework via a simple monolith exploring basics of Ecto, DDD, plugs, etc.
3: Focus on a collaborated project with my friend by creating a Phoenix API.

Just a plan for myself to take up before my first day of work in early May :smiley:

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Programming Elixir or Elixir in Action?

A post was split to a new topic: Any tips on understanding recursion?

I’ve been working here and there on a project in Elixir/Phoenix to get more familiar with the language. It’s an old-school online chat; using LiveView, I’ve got most of the fundamentals working… just kind of wondering how to find out on the server when someone enters the room for the first time/leaves the room with all browser windows, so that I can store some sort of system message “X has entered/left the room” when that happens.

3 Likes

I’ve been working on a monitoring server for Raspberry Pi devices, using Phoenix LiveView, Tailwind, and the Chart.js library.

Repo available on Github

3 Likes

Currently studying how to use GenStage. Flow and Broadway up next.

3 Likes

I never used it, but I think you need to leverage here Phoenix Presence:

https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix/Phoenix.Presence.html

3 Likes

Thank you!

I’m already using Presence to track who’s in the chat room (to display a list of present users), but I need to find out a way to be notified when someone leaves the room (with all browser tabs) or joins the room (without still being present with other browser tabs) – and to be notified of this on the server-side, not on the LiveView side – my first naive approach was to listen to Presence callback in LiveView and store a system message “X has entered/left the room” whenever Presence gave me that sort of info, but that just resulted in everyone in the chat room storing this message (multiple times) whenever a single person joined/left :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I recommend you to open a topic in the elixirforum.com with as much details as possible, and with a link to the repo if is public.

3 Likes

Going to make a Todo List app customized for my brand of forgetfulness. I really need one, and every member of my family agrees with me on it (or I was forced to agree with them on it).

4 Likes