What dev-related stuff have you been up to?

I’m just as bad - my reading list is huuuuuge :lol:

Definitely aiming for it to be a priority next year tho :smiley:

3 Likes

Yesterday, I studied the basic syntax of Lua. It’s a simple and beautiful langauge.

2 Likes

Think we need some threads about Lua! And Luerl :003:

2 Likes

Lua is a neat language. I wanted to touch Lapis too, but unfortunately Openresty failed to install on my Mac. (I use asdf version manager)

2 Likes

Last week, I skipped a few books in my list and moved Rust in Action to the top of the list. It’s an interesting language, where you can see that a lot of thought went into designing it properly. I’m not yet sure if I’ll like it in the end (especially once I reach the really difficult parts), but I already know that for me, Rust will always be proof that a language with similar goals and strengths to Go can actually be designed properly, unlike Go (which is and will remain my #1 most hated language :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Rust is of course a beautiful language. But it is great for web and mobile apps’ backends, or it is overkill for that purpose, is debatable.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if this fully counts as dev-related stuff, but I’ve been spending January on vacation in the Czech Republic, doing remote interviews, finally resulting in me announcing my resignation from my current company just this morning, as I was finally able to find an Elixir-focused job :heart:

5 Likes

Congratulations :+1:
Hope one day I’ll do the same :slight_smile:
Is the job still in Japan?

4 Likes

Thank you! Yes, it is, it’s in Japan for a Japanese company, though it’s full remote (and will forever stay that way :sweat_smile:).

4 Likes

That sounds fantastic :smiley:
I should apply there too haha

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Anyone tried Elixir Quiz?

Reading up currently on clean architecture and CQRS

3 Likes

I mean… the company is still hiring so if you mean it, ping me in a private message with your LinkedIn profile and I’ll tell my recruiter your contact :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been going through the amazing Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook both as a means of making the arrival quarantine pass by faster (thank you, Japan) as well as refreshing up my OTP knowledge prior to starting a new job. Wouldn’t want to look silly from day one :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

My father likes to check the lottery result every day, but he doesn’t know how use a computer to check it, so I created an app (using flutter) that checks the site and show the result to him.

Now, I just need to convince him to use a smartphone :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I have been studying with online courses about Kubernetes recently.

2 Likes

I have been studying Ruby using Michael Hartl’s book, in addition to an online Ruby course.

3 Likes

Currently rewatching tutorials on Docker and Kubernetes

3 Likes

I am trying to getting into basic NLP with Python and spaCy.

2 Likes

Learning a little bit of Deno. Probably migrating one of our apps from Node.js to Deno this year.

3 Likes