What dev-related stuff have you been up to?

Nope! The issue was on the side of our server, which acts as a middle-man/proxy between the client and some sort of third-party service. The certificate that is exposed to the mobile clients did not need any adjustments, it was just a trust issue on the server.

TIL, thank you! Raise would’ve been nice :sweat_smile:

Oh, that’s the root cause, thank you for telling me! I’ll share that with the team responsible for that service.

As for my dev-related update, I’m just counting down hours and minutes to ElixirConf US 2021! So hyped, though I wonder how well will I deal with the timezone difference between Japan and Texas :sweat_smile: The talks start at around midnight every day, so for the next four days, I’ll revert back to my university days of working during night and sleeping during day :rofl:

3 Likes

Today I’m trying FastAPI. Let’s see how many pomodoros can I survive.

3 Likes

Installing vim pluggin to vcode :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah OpenSSL is NOT ever something you want to be running an old version of. The version with that bug (and older) is pretty old, so if it was in use then it might be time to look over things and make sure its updated everywhere (especially since I’m pretty sure there were some pretty serious security issues back then)…

3 Likes

Ooh, scary… Though do you mind if I ask something? Although of course, installing updates (especially security ones) is clearly a good thing, let’s say that in this case, OpenSSL & the server binary were a part of a Docker container running in Fargate, hidden behind a load balancer, never to be accessed “directly”. Do you think that the danger of an attack is lower in a situation like that?

(I don’t know if that was the actual setup in this case as it was a different branch’s project, but this is the setup we regularly use in our team.)

2 Likes

If its exposed publicly then there’s still an attack surface.

Through a load balancer is still public, less surface area there, but it still talks.

3 Likes

I’ve been making time to re-read Getting Clojure.

It’s as enjoyable as I remember and now I’m giving Clojure another whirl, this time with the Cursive IDE, which I like very much so far and seems to run fine on my wimpy Windows laptop.

I think my next steps are to get more comfortable and ergonomic with REPL-driven programming with Cursive and then take Sean Corfield’s advice by taking baby steps with a web app:

At any rate, I’m having fun staying up past my bed time slinging some LISP.

3 Likes

Last week, I was lucky enough to be able to join ElixirConf US 2021 :heart: It was my first time joining an Elixir conference, and I had a blast! The talks were amazing as expected (still catching up on replays!), but this was the first conference where I tried to overcome my social awkwardness and socialize with other participants – and boy it was amazing! Also, I got to talk briefly to José Valim! :star_struck:

6 Likes

Working on a small React project now, but hoping to learn Kotlin before the year ends.

3 Likes

Currently on an ASP.NET Core project, plus Blazor

3 Likes

I’ve been going through phoenix liveview and mastering Elixir.
A few challenges have been encountered as the liveview version used in the book is old.
I’m learning a lot from mastering Elixir, I rushed through learning elixir and I feel now is the time to hone my skills.

3 Likes

I’m going to switch jobs by the end of the year. Programming languages wise, it’s more of the same (Kotlin, React) but I’m really looking forward to their more mature devops environment compared to my current job.

4 Likes

Crosspost from the elixirforum:
I’m building a remote control for my model train with nerves :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Reading @tonyhammond 's book about Graphs. Can’t wait for the paperback edition so I bought the digital one… obviously waiting for the paper one next year :grin:

3 Likes

I haven’t had much time to read recently due to moving houses, but I picked up Seven Languages in Seven Weeks during Black Friday sale and so far managed to dig through the Ruby chapter, and oh boy does it start good! I can’t wait to meet all the languages in the book!

3 Likes

I’m trying learning Rust by reading the book Practical Machine Learning with Rust.

3 Likes

Beyond making my wallet hurt from ebook purchases during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday, I’ve been making steady progress through Seven Languages in Seven Week. That book really is exceptional, though the Prolog chapter broke my brain more than I thought possible :rofl:

3 Likes

Aaand to follow up on the previous post, I finally reached the Erlang chapter :heart_eyes: I’m surprised how similar and at the same time how different to Elixir it feels – I mean, I probably should’ve expected that, but I was not ready for the function arguments often times being exactly the opposite from Elixir :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If you want to join our Programming Erlang bookclub let me know @Cellane - we still have some copies of it :023:

1 Like

Ooh, I’d love to! But there are still a few more books in my pipeline to read through first, is it fine to join now even though it will take me a few weeks to start going through the book and reporting my progress?

3 Likes