What dev-related stuff have you been up to?

2 things:

3 Likes

I’m attempting to learn functional programming…again. I attempted Elm about a year or so ago but it just didn’t stick. Currently working through a couple of Elixir books:

Elixir in Action from Manning:

Designing Elixir Systems with OTP from PragProg:

So far, I’m really enjoying Elixir as it is making a good bit more sense to my brain. Hopefully I can find a small side project so I can really use it soon. I’m thinking maybe something with Nerves. I have a couple of side projects that a colleague built with Python so maybe I could rebuild them with Elixir and Nerves. That could be a fun learning experience.

3 Likes

Wrestling with the intricacies of bundler – mainly why the fsck won’t it let me install a gem that I have as a .gem file already? I have workarounds but just letting me list the file would be much more convenient. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Great suggestion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have a solid plan of action to level my fundamentals of Elixir/Phoenix!
1: Complete a for-fun Elixir project I’ve thought of(hashing program). Focus on testing practices and Elixir best practices based on textbooks I’ve purchased from Manning Publications
2: Run through basics of Phoenix framework via a simple monolith exploring basics of Ecto, DDD, plugs, etc.
3: Focus on a collaborated project with my friend by creating a Phoenix API.

Just a plan for myself to take up before my first day of work in early May :smiley:

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Programming Elixir or Elixir in Action?

A post was split to a new topic: Any tips on understanding recursion?

I’ve been working here and there on a project in Elixir/Phoenix to get more familiar with the language. It’s an old-school online chat; using LiveView, I’ve got most of the fundamentals working… just kind of wondering how to find out on the server when someone enters the room for the first time/leaves the room with all browser windows, so that I can store some sort of system message “X has entered/left the room” when that happens.

3 Likes

I’ve been working on a monitoring server for Raspberry Pi devices, using Phoenix LiveView, Tailwind, and the Chart.js library.

Repo available on Github

3 Likes

Currently studying how to use GenStage. Flow and Broadway up next.

3 Likes

I never used it, but I think you need to leverage here Phoenix Presence:

https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix/Phoenix.Presence.html

3 Likes

Thank you!

I’m already using Presence to track who’s in the chat room (to display a list of present users), but I need to find out a way to be notified when someone leaves the room (with all browser tabs) or joins the room (without still being present with other browser tabs) – and to be notified of this on the server-side, not on the LiveView side – my first naive approach was to listen to Presence callback in LiveView and store a system message “X has entered/left the room” whenever Presence gave me that sort of info, but that just resulted in everyone in the chat room storing this message (multiple times) whenever a single person joined/left :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I recommend you to open a topic in the elixirforum.com with as much details as possible, and with a link to the repo if is public.

3 Likes

Going to make a Todo List app customized for my brand of forgetfulness. I really need one, and every member of my family agrees with me on it (or I was forced to agree with them on it).

4 Likes

I was able to finish reading PragProg’s book on LiveView just yesterday :partying_face: (At least the parts that are currently published)

I’ve got kind of mixed feelings though… the content is incredibly interesting, of course, but this is the first PragProg book that I just had trouble getting through… Maybe it’s just that it’s not polished yet due to its EAP status (I hope that’s the case!), but I don’t know, somehow the issues I seemed to have with the text are a bit more fundamental than what could be easily fixed? I constantly had the feeling like the content is being literally repeated over and over again, and felt the constant need to skip through the lengthy paragraphs of text that had no “meat” in it just to get to the actual code…

3 Likes

Currently learning about Cypress

2 Likes

I’m continue with my hobby project, exploring elixir and phoenix

2 Likes

I doubt you’re talking about my ancient GPU version? Lol

2 Likes

I had to check how ancient GPU is related to Cypress. Got to know about AMDs Cypress GPU XD.

Nah, it’s that Automation testing tool.

2 Likes

Lol, yeah last generation before Vulkan support, my poor poor desktop badly needs lots of upgrades, but nothing on it is dying… ^.^;

2 Likes