What are you watching?

Well, I felt like it didn’t make any sense the way they put the story in. I agree introducing so many start studded characters properly and packing them in a 2 hour slot is not easy, but the whole thing felt like a very unneeded and very rectangular block dropped on a chain of round slots. The actions were good, the jokes were not (felt like the attempts at joke made in the JL movie). I wouldn’t say not to watch it, it could be important in this whole multiverse thing they are doing. When you have the liberty to pull things out of thin air multiple universes and make sense out of it, nothing is irrelevant.

I was unable to go with zero expectation, given a decade’s worth time and entertainment received from a coherent Marvel movies. But even if seen in isolation, I’d say it’s the second worst superhero movie I have seen since Iron Man (only Wonder Woman 86 is worse, and Suicide Squad 1 was slightly better).

3 Likes

I’ve already seen it twice and will probably watch it a third time soon! I really did like it :lol:

I have only seen one trailer but am hoping to watch it soon - I hope it’s not terrible :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Just watched the Eternals and I enjoyed it. It’s certainly different, and it definitely deviates a little bit from the tried and tested formula - and while that adds to the charm they should have perhaps gone a bit further. One of the ways I thought it was different (for a superhero movie) is how it highlights some human idiosyncrasies (not in who I was expecting to see them - which is what I though made it different/clever!). It’s subtle perhaps, but it’s there. What I really didn’t like though is them calling the monsters ‘deviants’ - that word has negative connotations having been used as a slur against people who are different, and Marvel really should have known better.

I’ve also been watching The After Party, which has been entertaining! :lol:

And also Suspicion, which I am enjoying as well (both on Apple TV)

Both worth watching imo!

I’m on the last few episodes of Seinfeld, I’ve been watching the series for the past 3 months.
Even though it’s a bit old, it was really funny, I’ll probably miss it.

3 Likes

Just finished Space Force. Also went through some Korean series in between:

Sweet Home
All of us are dead
My Name

Currently watching Kingdom.

3 Likes

Did Anthony Starr got too much into the role of the a-hole Homelander? :003:

2 Likes

^^in time for season 3 by the look of it Dimi! :lol:

1 Like

@AstonJ I also really enjoyed Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I have purchased many of the episodes from iTunes. Also, I had the pleasure of making eye contact with my favorite character, Melinda May, played by Ming-Na Wen in Culver City, CA at a local restaurant. I was shocked to see and make eye contact with her but she smiled back at me. I would have definitely asked her for a selfie if she wasn’t with other people. Finally, I also saw Antoine Triplett played by B.J. Britt when I was hanging out at the Santa Monica Place in Santa Monica, CA. I haven’t seen this fantastic show in 8+ years and it. Thus, it might be a good time to add it to my binge list.

2 Likes

Oh wow I love Ming-Na Wen and she was awesome in Agents of Shield - you’re so lucky you saw her Conrad! Shame you couldn’t get an autograph or pic but still nice to see her in person :smiley:

1 Like

Recently watched “Nobody”. By watching the preview of the fight scene on the bus I set the expectation that the movie will be about some depressed man vigilante, but it was basically the 4th part of John Wick and John Wick was not my cup of tea. Back to comedy I guess.

Rewatching the Big Bang Theroy now. Really enjoyed the episode when Amy tried to rewire Sheldon’s brain not to be upset with things not being finished.

3 Likes

Little did he know that it would become his favorite sitcom.

I really didn’t see that coming and judge Seinfeld too early. The first seasons were not that great for me. But I heart so much about it that I decided to persevere and was not wrong to do so.

2 Likes

Haha, exactly my impression. It was a cute fresh movie, I generally liked it, but it started off way too slowly. I liked the characters. The premise and ending you could see coming a mile away, sure, but I liked how the main character evolved.

Too many times in US-centric media we are bombarded with constant preaching that you should “hold back” and be “a good citizen” and I enjoyed how the guy eventually figured – “hey, family life isn’t really for me, back to business as before”.

We need more media that tells us it’s okay to not want to be doormats, I suppose.

3 Likes

Just finished Suspicion on Apple TV and thought it was great!

1 Like

Apple’s stuff seems to be getting better and better! Slow Horses has been great so far :023:

1 Like

really hated peaky blinders is only 6 seasons :frowning:

2 Likes

I’ve been watching “Komi can’t communicate”, an anime about a girl who suffers from communication disorders, and is helped by her friends.
Fun and light, good to watch in the end of the night and to forget about the problems of the day =)

2 Likes

Is this out yet?

This article reminded me of it:

Looks promising, I love Michelle Yeoh :orange_heart:

1 Like

I was thinking the other day that if you compare “All of Us Are Dead” (Korean small city high school zombie outbreak) with “Stranger Things” (US small town high & middle school monster/conspiracy) and pay attention to what is and esp is not said or shown and how the relationships work, maybe you can get a pretty decent though limited and partial cheatsheet to compare US and Korean, and even almost Western vs East Asian cultures.

As for me, I’ve mostly been watching Ukraine stuff…

Oh I saw “The Last Duel.” It seemed to do a good job of considering both those times and our times and implicitly asking us to compare them. I liked the production values. Personally I’m often bugged by all of the electric lights and so on in movies set before electricity, and this did a pretty good job of helping the viewer to get some visceral sense of that world. The locations certainly helped, but I’m a sucker for hanging out in old windy ruins in Europe, castles, abandoned monasteries, broken aqueducts and so on…

2 Likes

I heard good things about this movie, waiting impatiently for it to get to my country!

3 Likes

Just saw it yesterday. Wonderful mix of humor, sci-fi, martial arts, human drama, etc., all very well done. A bit long, but well worth it.

2 Likes