HELLO WORLD (Introductions thread!)

It seems that I missed this thread when I joined devtalk.com, but it’s never too late :wink:

I am a developer advocate for security in mobile apps and APIs.

I like to reply to security questions on Stackoverflow:

You should read some of them to learn the difference between what vs who is accessing your API server.

Sometimes I write educational blog posts on security for mobile apps and APIs in the blog for the company where I work now, for example this one:

To learn more about my journey as a developer you can visit my site.

6 Likes

Welcome. What kind of SaaS business would you like to build? I find myself starved for ideas lately and I promise not to steal yours (since I don’t have much time on my hands either). :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi,
I am Arif Hussain Bangash, a Rails and Phoenix developer from Pakistan. Before being a developer I was a Geotechnical Engineer.

6 Likes

Hello. Bearded Devops guy from Finland. Like tinkering with Arduino & Raspberry Pi. Work programming with Python, Ruby and Go; hobby programming with Elixir, Racket and Pico-8.

5 Likes

Hello!

I’m Isai. I am a software developer and computer science student from Brazil. I’ve been messing around with many things and learning a lot lately. I began my Web Dev journey with Ruby on Rails, but ended up falling in love with Elixir and now I’m learning it like crazy… such a beautiful and elegant language this one.

Pleasure to meet you all! :smiley:

7 Likes

Hello to everybody, from California!

I have been a developer for more than two decades building solutions using tools that make sense to solve the problem at hand. Programming languages I have worked with include C, Java, Ruby, and Elixir.

I have an interest in distributed systems and FP, in particular. I am passionate about the Erlang ecosystem - Elixir, Phoenix, OTP, Erlang. And want to learn more about BEAM and languages based on it. Also maybe Nx :slight_smile:

Coming over from the Elixir forum. Glad to be here!

5 Likes

Hello!

I’m a Swedish javadeveloper. With three small kids.

I like to learn more about elixir and the OTP platform.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Gabriel, a Ruby/Rails dev from Singapore. I’m currently exploring shifting my entire stack to Elixir(:

5 Likes

I am maintaining some old projects. Rewrite some core parts from legacy code to modern languages:
JS → TS
Ruby → Crystal
Java → Kotlin

4 Likes

Hi everyone. I am a front-end developer. Currently, trying to get into game development and other low level programming stuff in my spare time.

5 Likes

Welcome @ankur. What kind of game development?

4 Likes

Thanks @ohm . My current aim is to learn what goes into making a game from scratch. I would most probably clone a simple 2D game to start with. Later on, when I have some idea about how things work under the hood, I will switch to a game engine like Unity. Meanwhile I also have to work on my own game idea :grin:

5 Likes

Hi, I’m a software engineer that’s originally from Chicago, Illinois. I have been developing software for several years and loving it. Also, I have interests in robotics, artificial intelligence, foreign languages, traveling, and movies.

5 Likes

Hey all!

Programmer as hobby who is trying to push for a career in what I love. Previous background was in Molecular Biology and would someday love to combine the two interests!

Started by reading C++ books online/from my uni library and currently just landed my first job in a company that uses Elixir/Phoenix!

4 Likes

Hi everyone! :wave:t2:

I’ve been programming since I was 14 when my parents bought me an Apple //c computer for Christmas. You can see one of those here: Apple IIc - Wikipedia I actually used it all the way through college.

I’m always looking for new-to-me languages. I’m currently trying to learn Elixir even though functional languages have always been a challenge for my brain. Go and Rust were to 2 prior to that. I really got hooked on Rust after seeing is at OSCON in 2018. Nathan Stocks (https://twitter.com/nathanstocks) did an excellent job explaining it to us.

Currently I work at Duke Energy in Charlotte, NC. I’ve actually been here for over 24 years now. We are the 2nd largest Investor Owned Utility (IOU) in the US with nearly 50GW of generation capacity with a lot of that moving from traditional fossil generation over to renewables. I work in group that is called the Emerging Technology Office (ETO). We are basically a R&D group for the company where we look at technologies that could impact the company 5-10-15 years in the future and try to determine what the company should look into. We also create some of our own technology through proof-of-concepts to see how they could work. We share a lot of what we do with the entire electric utility industry to try to push it and our vendors forward. Goodness knows that this industry hasn’t moved quickly in the past but there is a real need to do so in the future.

Here’s hoping to meet some new folks here and learning a lot!

Dwayne

8 Likes

Hello! :wave:

Name’s Milan, I’m originally from the Czech Republic but living in Japan for three years so far. Due to how my company operates, I don’t have any permanent programming language, I’m migrating between languages as projects come and go and requirements change – in the past three years, I had to execute projects in Swift, Java, JavaScript, Terraform, Ruby and now recently in Go. Even though languages change, I tend to stay on the back-end and infrastructure side of things.

My recent forced switch (and newly-found hate of depth immeasurable) for Go made me search for a language that I could stay more faithful to, which led me to Elixir. I’m binging on PragProg books related to Elixir and hoping that by some miracle, I could introduce it to my current company – or more likely, find a company that would use Elixir for their projects.

I like most IT-related things, and I got into the hobby of hand-made mechanical keyboards a few months ago – nothing better than to write in a language you like on a keyboard you made and like :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I’m doing the same thing right now with Elixir. It has been fun so far. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Sup,

I’m new here. I found Elixir two years ago and finally had time to get into it. I’m still working my way through OTP → GenServer and superviors for state management. It’s easy to understand, but all the documentation I’ve found is “build your app then refactor for statement management” - a little different than what I’m use to Go or NodeJS and React, even with Kubernetes and microservices, but I have seen the promised land. Loads of fun, late nights and refactoring.

Kevin

6 Likes

:raising_hand_man:t2: there @KevinGenus. I’m working my way through Elixir as well. I just found it a few months ago myself though. I had heard some people I follow on Twitter mentioning it here and there but I just never got a chance to pick it up. But now, I have several Elixir books from both Manning and PragProg so I’m trying to dig in and see how it goes. I’m really enjoying the way it is making me think differently.

5 Likes

Wow, control systems. Very complex applications. Wish I had a chance to work with complex systems too.

4 Likes