HELLO WORLD (Introductions thread!)

Hello, world! :wave:t2: :wave:t2: I’m Billy Jo from Kansas City, MO, USA. I fell in love with computers in the late ‘80s, started batch scripting and building small HTML projects in the mid ‘90s, and I’ve been a software professional since 2001. I’ve worked on a wide variety of projects across many industries, including high-speed document scanning and OCR, healthcare backoffice, and oceanic mapping. I’m currently in the nonprofit sector, and I never want to work in for-profit again.

I’m a passionate advocate for increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in STEM fields. My daily playlist is mostly folk music and country love songs. I love all food, from french fries to escargot. (My favorite cuisine is Northern Indian, and I’ll try anything twice!) I’m an Eagle Scout, and I volunteer in my community regularly. My favorite spot is in my chair with a cat on my lap. :cat2:

Happy to make your acquaintance!

4 Likes

@Anna, I’ve been doing this for twenty years and I still don’t know what I’m doing half the time. You’ll be fine as long as you remember that everybody else fakes it too sometimes.

6 Likes

Hi, all.

At one point I was a product manager, at another I ran a small startup, and at this point I’m mostly a hobbyist programmer, since the bulk of my time is spent taking care of my little boy. Most of my coding these days is in Elixir, having made the transition from Ruby a few years ago.

One day I’d like to launch and run a small software-as-a-service business, but it’s relatively low on the list of priorities these days.

Currently based in Los Angeles, although we’ve moved around a lot and will quite possibly do so again.

Nice to meet everybody!

7 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community @gianthamster! Thanks for joining.

4 Likes

hi, currently working for a Marketing Agency. Really excited to port their existing site to Phoenix!

5 Likes

It seems that I missed this thread when I joined devtalk.com, but it’s never too late :wink:

I am a developer advocate for security in mobile apps and APIs.

I like to reply to security questions on Stackoverflow:

You should read some of them to learn the difference between what vs who is accessing your API server.

Sometimes I write educational blog posts on security for mobile apps and APIs in the blog for the company where I work now, for example this one:

To learn more about my journey as a developer you can visit my site.

5 Likes

Welcome. What kind of SaaS business would you like to build? I find myself starved for ideas lately and I promise not to steal yours (since I don’t have much time on my hands either). :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sup, I’m GeeDee! Some of you may have already seen me here, but for those of you who haven’t:

I was born in Romania, but moved to Sweden. Hopefully I get to move to Japan in the future :stuck_out_tongue:

I consider myself a full stack developer, and a UI/UX designer. If you need any design help, feel free to contact me! :flushed:

I’m currently learning Elixir, both for fun and for my messaging platform that’s in the works. Elixir is so fun compared to node and I don’t know why. :sweat_smile:

In my free time, I try to learn Japanese. It’s a really fun and interesting language. There’s just something beautiful about it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m not good at introductions, but this should cover my basic info :joy:

5 Likes

Hi,
I am Arif Hussain Bangash, a Rails and Phoenix developer from Pakistan. Before being a developer I was a Geotechnical Engineer.

6 Likes

Hello. Bearded Devops guy from Finland. Like tinkering with Arduino & Raspberry Pi. Work programming with Python, Ruby and Go; hobby programming with Elixir, Racket and Pico-8.

5 Likes

Hello!

I’m Isai. I am a software developer and computer science student from Brazil. I’ve been messing around with many things and learning a lot lately. I began my Web Dev journey with Ruby on Rails, but ended up falling in love with Elixir and now I’m learning it like crazy… such a beautiful and elegant language this one.

Pleasure to meet you all! :smiley:

7 Likes

Hello to everybody, from California!

I have been a developer for more than two decades building solutions using tools that make sense to solve the problem at hand. Programming languages I have worked with include C, Java, Ruby, and Elixir.

I have an interest in distributed systems and FP, in particular. I am passionate about the Erlang ecosystem - Elixir, Phoenix, OTP, Erlang. And want to learn more about BEAM and languages based on it. Also maybe Nx :slight_smile:

Coming over from the Elixir forum. Glad to be here!

5 Likes

Hello!

I’m a Swedish javadeveloper. With three small kids.

I like to learn more about elixir and the OTP platform.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Gabriel, a Ruby/Rails dev from Singapore. I’m currently exploring shifting my entire stack to Elixir(:

4 Likes

I am maintaining some old projects. Rewrite some core parts from legacy code to modern languages:
JS → TS
Ruby → Crystal
Java → Kotlin

3 Likes

Hi everyone. I am a front-end developer. Currently, trying to get into game development and other low level programming stuff in my spare time.

4 Likes

Welcome @ankur. What kind of game development?

3 Likes

Thanks @ohm . My current aim is to learn what goes into making a game from scratch. I would most probably clone a simple 2D game to start with. Later on, when I have some idea about how things work under the hood, I will switch to a game engine like Unity. Meanwhile I also have to work on my own game idea :grin:

4 Likes

Hi, I’m a software engineer that’s originally from Chicago, Illinois. I have been developing software for several years and loving it. Also, I have interests in robotics, artificial intelligence, foreign languages, traveling, and movies.

4 Likes

Hey all!

Programmer as hobby who is trying to push for a career in what I love. Previous background was in Molecular Biology and would someday love to combine the two interests!

Started by reading C++ books online/from my uni library and currently just landed my first job in a company that uses Elixir/Phoenix!

1 Like