Games! Which do you play?

Which, if any, games do you play? On what platform?

I just bought (and completed) Minecraft Dungeons for my Nintendo Switch. Other than that I play a bit of Factorio from time to time, also Oxygen Not Included and Don’t Starve (as well as Don’t Starve Together) all on my Macbook.

I just wish I had a bit more time to play. :sweat_smile:

Minecraft Dungeons is a dungeon crawler video game.

Factorio is a construction and management simulation game.

Oxygen Not Included is a survival simulation video game.

Don’t Starve (and Don’t Starve Together) is a survival video game. The difference is that Don’t Starve is a single-player game, while Don’t Starve Together is the multi-player version. They differ ever so slightly in game play.

6 Likes

One of my all-time favorite games Caesar III has just got a mod that fixes some of the bugs while also allowing me to play it on my Mac! The mod is called Augustus, however, it also has a pure port with bugs and all called Julius. Can’t wait to give that a spin sometime soon!

Caesar III is a city-building game released on September 30, 1998. (~22 years ago!)

4 Likes

I am eagerly awaiting the next gen console launch :nerd:

Will probably get a PS5 as I tend to prefer games from Sony, though I have had xboxes in the past. In fact I used to run a gaming forum and am actually thinking about rebooting it with the same thing as we’ve done here - where the front page shows trending topics to make it easier to catch up with platforms, games, game developers, etc. If anybody’s interested in this let me know! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Lately almost nothing. But Warframe is quite fine to kill some hours for few times a month. As for games requiring puzzle-solving skills… I am way too burned out on that from my work. :slight_smile:

Every now and then I fire Quake3 and scour for old servers where people still got some skill. Might install Quake Champions and Quake Live.

Picture of my favourite Warframe:warframe___reclamation_by_artarrwen-d9vb3t9

3 Likes

My most played is Factorio for sure, closely followed by the old 1990’s Doom (GZDoom engine primarily, sometimes GLBoom or whichever it was for the high entity count slaughtermaps).

Next would probably be Stellaris. Used to do Minecraft a lot but less so the past year (try the GT6 mod for 1.7.10!).

And then I get into smaller tiny amounts of lots of other games, lol.

4 Likes

I can still hang with some lighter puzzles but I’m in the same boat.

I’m looking forward to the day when I’m throwing less brain cycles at work and can get stuck into, e.g., Factorio (I always stall out at oil refinery) or revisit some Zachtronics games (SpaceChem is almost ten years old? When did that happen?).

3 Likes

Got thoroughly hooked on rogue (yes the original) back in college (yes I’m old). Later, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom; never got around to Quake and such, and hardly anything since then. The only other game to really hook me was Evil Genius (got to the volcano lair before I had no more time for it). Got somewhat hooked on Zombie Farm as the first game I found for my first iPad… but the waiting and waiting and tapping and tapping SO repetitively, bleagh.

Never been so into games as to get a console. When my nephew was six or so, and we played Donald Duck Races (or something like that) at his place, I was totally lost how to use the controller!

3 Likes

Evil Genius 2 is in development! A new group though so I hope they do it well. ^.^

2 Likes

Great! Any clue if they intend to release a Mac version, or still Windows-only? Got rid of my Windows box since then.

2 Likes

Fantastic question. I don’t really look at such things as running linux with proton I can play anything linux or windows that’s not infective DRM encumbered (which I’d avoid on windows too). But I don’t know… ^.^;

I tend to not look close at games until they are actually released and I can see if they are infected with anything or not, that way I can then grab it if good, or pretend it doesn’t exist otherwise, lol.

1 Like

Recent favorites:

• Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2
  • Deus Ex GOTY Edition and Human Revolution

My graphics card can’t handle Deus Ex Mankind Divided, but I’m hoping to play that as soon as I can get a better graphics card.

I’m also playing Divinity OS2 to get a preview of BG3’s game engine.

3 Likes

I love chess and chess puzzles. I also used to play on lichess haven’t played recently though.

Other PC games that I usually play/played recently:

• Urban Terror
  • CS - GO
  • War Thunder

Mobile games:

• Injustice 2
  • Pokemon GO
2 Likes

I also play on lichess, maybe we can play one day :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve recently bought a PS4 and have been enjoying all these tasty exclusives and some other games. It’s great to buy a console at the end of it’s lifecycle because you can get it and the games for a dime.

Right now I’m playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I’m enjoying it so far but I also know that it ends very suddenly, so I’m bracing for that.

In addition to that I also own a Switch and have been playing Stardew Valley on and off. It’s a great change of pace and I find it very relaxing.

Before that I played (mostly on the PS4):

• Watch Dogs 2
    didn’t finish it, probably will at some point though
  • Baba is you
    a mind twisting sokoban-like puzzle game where the rules of the game are also pushable and you need to manipulate them to complete the puzzles; big fun!
    Played it on the switch
  • Assassin’s Creed Syndicate
    didn’t finish, won’t finish it - I enjoyed it but it overstayed it’s welcome, it was simply too long
  • Alien Isolation
    usually I chicken out of horror games but this one really drew me in. I didn’t finish it yet but I plan to, I just needed a change of pace
  • Titanfall 2
    only played the campaign but damn was this a great experience, best shooter I’ve played in a while
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
    didn’t think it was as bad as people make it out to be, the core gameplay loop of exploring and fighting is fairly fun; finished it although it’s story was a bit meh
  • God of War
    finished it and enjoyed it very much, awesome game

Beyond that I got a bunch more of PS4 games waiting to be played. Bought them all for a dime.

I also own a gaming PC I’ve built a few years back but it’s not really functional atm. I need to reinstall Windows from scratch to get it back up and running but haven’t bothered to do that in the past few months because I’m busy enough as it is.

5 Likes

I’m a huge fan of Factorio also. And occasionally I’ll play Don’t Starve Together also. Also, does Spirit Island via Tabletop Simulator count?

4 Likes

I’m a big fan of DX:HR. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Square Enix will port it to the Switch.

The exclusives I’ve played are tasty indeed: Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, and Marvel’s Spider-Man. I also enjoyed the Uncharted series.

I played it on PS3 and I just couldn’t handle the tension.

It was super-cheap on Steam not too long ago, so I bought it again with the idea that someday I’ll have a PC powerful enough to run it. I’ll install the no-aggro mod when the tension becomes too much and then soak in the incredible setting without getting too stressed out.

3 Likes

Right, forgot to mention it. Great game indeed.

2 Likes

The Spiderman game’s mechanics are amazing but the game’s dialogue I found seriously lacking and at places cringe-worthy. Not to mention a lot of pretty bad plot holes like Peter is evicted and has nowhere to sleep, but 1-2 days later that’s suddenly not a problem.

I get that the game has to be kids-friendly and can’t afford to get too grim or serious but from the eyes of an adult there are some unforgivable omissions.

Gameplay wise and in terms of atmosphere though, the game is an absolute 10/10.

2 Likes

It’s one of the best games I’ve ever played, and the ending is great. I’m still trying to find more games like it, if they exist.

Cyberpunk 2077 looks like an interesting Deus Ex inpired game, but my current computer doesn’t have a good enough graphics card for that (or Mankind Divided). :cry:

3 Likes

I enjoyed DX:MD, but not as much as HR.

I haven’t found anything else quite like Deus Ex, either, but Cyberpunk 2077 does indeed look intriguing.

4 Likes