Do you trust autonomous / self-driving vehicles?

Was surprised to hear that only now can they actually detect speed signs and green lights :scream: :joy:

Which got me thinking, do you trust autonomous vehicles? Would you be happy for them to share the roads with you?

As a pedestrian (someone who doesn’t drive) would you be happy for them to be on our roads in any kind of self-driving mode enabled?

• Yes
  • No
  • N/A (I’m a driver!)

0 voters

As a driver of a non-autonomous vehicle would you be happy for them to be on our roads in any kind of self-driving mode enabled?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Would you buy one or use one if you could afford one?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

I voted no :see_no_evil:

I think we need more stats, studies and trials - I think I might feel more comfortable if accidents of autonomous vehicles were proven to be below accidents by vehicles with human drivers in control. However, ideally, the margin of error should be zero imo.

2 Likes

Definitely agree we need more studies, but I voted as a driver that I’d be fine with them. IDK about Teslas, but back in Apr I bought a 2020 Toyota RAV4 that has some light automation:

1. It can identify speed limit signs (but not stoplights) and some other road signs.
  2. It also has adaptive cruise control with lane detection, meaning if I set my cruise, it’ll stay in the current lane by itself (including steering around curves) and slow down/speed up when necessary due to the vehicle ahead.
    a. It doesn’t change speed when it detects a new speed limit, although that’d be rad!

As I see it, the trick is having a human behind the wheel to respond when necessary. I use those functions and adore them, but I don’t trust them. I always have my hands on the wheel and hover my foot over the brake, because I think that’s part of being a defensive driver and a responsible citizen on the road.

2 Likes

We definitely don’t have true AI in the sci-fi meaning of the word but more trials and hardening of the algorithms / neural nets we now have should be done constantly.

I view human drivers as a huge life risk on the roads. We should fight to kick all humans out of the driver seats.

2 Likes

I agree. I believe we’ll eventually phase out human drivers, but I also believe we’re a long way out from that. While the Teslas of the world work on that, I think it’s important for “commodity” car manufacturers to continue refining and evolving safety features like the ones I mentioned, so they become available to everyone.

I also think we need to focus more on public transit and walking than on individual car ownership!

Here’s a fun fact: Teslas are engineered to have just one primary computer for all of the vehicle’s functions (except Autopilot, which has a dedicated controller). My new hybrid RAV4 has something like 70! Can you imagine what a patchwork Toyota’s source control must look like? :joy:

3 Likes

Oh, definitely. But we must not forget there’s a ton of people out there who don’t have much career and working place choice. :confused: They really can’t be picky and so they have to drive half the city in order to make ends meet.

So there are much bigger fish to fry until there’s no economic incentive in owning a car, I am afraid.

3 Likes

My sentiment exactly.

2 Likes

Personally I think working in offices should be banned for sectors where working from home is possible - other than for weekly meetings and where it is not possible to work from home for genuine reasons (such as security).

I also think it’s about time we started to review manufacture of products too, where they should be manufactured locally if possible - this would be good for local economies too and would possibly even alleviate certain security woes (when it comes to things like tech) :smiley:

3 Likes

Agree with you on the no commute issue!

2 Likes

I voted “yes” for all, under the assumption, that street infrastructure is also getting prepared for those cars.

They should not have to rely on camera to identify the state of a traffic light or sign. Signs and lights should “tell” what they are.

I vaguely remember some background story for a pen and paper RPG I played decades ago, where autonomous cars were real, but only on “grid enabled” streets, where special electronic in the street powered the car and also transferred data about speed limits etc.

4 Likes

YES @NobbZ, you’re right on! A smart driving infrastructure is absolutely part of the equation. There have already been some attempts at solar roads, in fact, although as of a couple years ago they’re still non-viable.

2 Likes

From the reports Tesla has put out, the number of accidents of cars in self-driving modes is significantly less than when humans are driving, by an order or magnitudes.

Ideally they would not get in accidents at all, but even as of a few years ago they were already significantly safer than a human, so human driving needs to be reducing as much as possible.

Honestly if we could get full self driving of all cars then a lot of the human reactionary things aren’t as needed, they could drive perfectly and smoothly. ^.^

Also, a fun related video:

4 Likes

At this point, I would only trust them in certain situations. I own a Tesla, and I trust it driving on the freeway and the automatic parking because those scenarios are quite specific. I will not be purchasing the full autonomous driving for my car though.

That being said, I do think this is headed in the right direction and when it gets to full autonomy that it would save a lot of lives. However, I think that is a long way away.

5 Likes

I am totally with Grey here. Ban all humans drivers. It makes no sense at all for humans to keep driving around manually when we totally have the technology to make it all automatic.

@AstonJ as to your concern whether the automated cars can read traffic signs, they need not to when all cars are automated. They only need to be able to coordinate amongst themselves which turns the problem into one of software. :smiley:

3 Likes

but in the interim? I was thinking for situations like when there are temporary speed restrictions (due to things like roadworks).

I think I’d be happier with things if:

• All road vehicles were autonomous
  • Speed limits are imposed to begin with, and only increased on zero fatalities at that limit
  • Vehicles are strengthened to avoid catastrophic injury to passengers
  • Vehicles are made to avoid catastrophic injury to people on foot
2 Likes

I keep saying this for literally more then 10 years now, and I normally add that we will pay a very high price by letting China manufacturer all we need, be it due to security or just economic dependence on them.

To bear in mind that I am not against global trade, but as it sands now is just too dangerous for each country economy in the long run.

I would say that any company in a country shouldn’t be allowed to manufacturer more then 50% outside the country, no matter the company Head Quarters location. This would still promote global trade while boosting the country industrial sector and economy.

3 Likes

Security is definitely a concern tho for me it’s the environmental impact that’s most concerning - manufacturing locally would not only be much better because we’re cutting transport, but also because we can actually adhere to pollution and other standards :smiley:

2 Likes