How can we as an industry be more eco-friendly?

Continuing from below, I think my reply is better suited to this topic.

@dimitarvp I’m one such person you describe. My employer’s office is 32 km away from my home. That’s been more the rule than the exception for my entire working life, and it’s no different for many, many folks in my city and surrounds. Plus our public transit is laughable. I bought a hybrid vehicle to reduce my environmental impact from the commute, and I also carpool—well I did…but I will again when we go back to the office. :upside_down_face: I know that’s not specific to the tech industry, but I’m lucky to have the means and opportunity to take advantage of it.

Relatedly, something that technology professionals are often very well-equipped and -positioned for is working from home. I’ve had and employed the technical capability to work remotely at every single job I’ve had since I started my professional career in 2001. It slashes the commute by up to 100%, and can reduce the need for as much end-user hardware if employees BYOD (Bring Your Own Device). Covid has forced the issue for lots of employers, mine included, and I think we might see some positive, permanent change once we’re finally on the other side of it.

1 Like