Digital Nomad Developers

Do we have any digital nomads here?

Anyone fancy it? If so, which countries would you consider?

I’ve been toying with the idea for a while so curious to hear what others think. The whole covid thing has put me off a bit tho :lol:

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

Huh? What’s this?

1 Like

A digital nomad is basically someone who can (and does - in a country that isn’t their own) work remotely from anywhere so long as they have an internet connection. Sometimes people do this over long periods or some travel from place to place.

There’s quite a lot of people doing it:

1 Like

I host too much stuff physically to do that, lol.

2 Likes

…and you have a young child now :lol: While not impossible I expect that would make things much harder, as you’d need to factor in things like schooling :books:

1 Like

Exceptionally true there!

1 Like

I live in Seoul, so can’t call myself a nomad. I used to jaunt around here and there on tourist visas but I wouldn’t try that again until Covid dies down…

My dreamy wishlist for long working visits in the future would include Thailand, Vietnam (if they don’t go insane with online censorship), Botswana, Argentina, Japan (actually hope to have an apartment in Japan and go back and forth).

3 Likes

Where have you been altogether Mallory?

I’ve been thinking about there too! Particularly as I’d love to get into Muay Thai :003:

3 Likes

I am working remotely for a company outside my country for a few years now, so I guess I am a digital nomad.

2 Likes

ooh I really missed Chiang Mai

2 Likes

I’ve been mostly around East Asia. Thailand is great though I haven’t yet been to amazing Chiang Mai! Muay Thai must be amazing if you’re into martial arts; it’s certainly fun to watch! And the food is so good and also relatively cheap. Myself, I’ve especially spent time in Japan because of the language, for one, and also because it’s somehow often easy for me to get along with people there. Also there’s a healthy-feeling equality and I like knowing that if I drop my wallet people will bring it to me. I’d like to have an apartment in Japan, maybe a timeshare, etc. Singapore is OK, too. You can meet interesting folks, but it’s kind of like, corporate mall on one side and the little people on the other. But the legal structure is definitely easier for int’l business. I haven’t been to Vietnam and am looking forward to that, though I worry about internet censorship. In Korea some firms outsource to Vietnamese programmers. The Philippines is interesting because of how much English is spoken there, and the natural beauty. Taiwan is amazingly awesome! So many great people. And then there’s the 5000-pound gorilla in the room…

3 Likes

Wonder if there’s a term for people who work for international companies from their home country?

I’ve seen lots of videos and it does look stunning! How long were you there? Any pics? :sunglasses:

Wow you’ve been to soo many amazing places! Have any of them ever felt like ‘home’?

Post pics if you can :003:

1 Like

I wouldn’t call myself a digital nomad right now (living in California) but I’ve taken “working vacations” to Costa Rica, Belize, Mexico (Baja, Yucatan Peninsula), and the Bahamas as well as many places within the US.

I’d recommend any of them, as well as Thailand (amazing street food!) and New Zealand.

4 Likes

Nice one @hassan! I’ve actually been looking into Costa Rica as you can get 2 year ‘rentistas’ there - but also Belize more recently as it’s English-speaking and I am not sure I want to learn a new language :lol:

How would you compare the two? Did you have a preference?

2 Likes

Belize has good weather and good diving (Blue Hole!) but no surf (at least where I was).

Costa Rica has both an Atlantic and Pacific coast, and the west coast has good surf so that’s probably where I’ll head when I can travel again. English-speaking locals are pretty common in Costa Rica because tourists and expats but I’m slowly picking up Spanish anyway,

I am all about oceans and islands though, YMMV. Oh, and the Bahamas is English-speaking, so consider that.

3 Likes

I stayed there for 6 months, mostly know “old city”. got no time to roam around cause got lots of things to work so I pretty much wasted my time on this beautiful place. Stayed also Pattaya (also the entire Chonburi) for roughly 5 years, has lots of places to visit. It’s just that some people would label it as red district when it’s not.

2 Likes

We’re circling the eastern USA by boat. Follow the journey on Twitter at @redrapids and at https://currentlytheboat.com for a nightly map of our progress, our instagram pics, and articles when we feel inspired.

3 Likes

That’s good to know, though all the documents/signs etc being in English in Belize is handy - is that what it’s like in the Bahamas too?

Sounds like you’re missing it Jaeyson! Go back - YOLO an all that :003:

That’s awesome Bruce! How long are you planning on doing it? Sounds like quite the adventure you and Maggie are having :smiley:

4 Likes

It will take us 9-10 more months if all goes well.

4 Likes