Best chairs for developers?

What chair do you have while working… and why?

Is there a ‘best’ type of chair or working position for developers?

1 Like

I have one of these kneeling stools:

Bought from Amazon.

If I was to get another, I would like to try this one as I think it allows you to sit with your legs a little wider (which I think is probably more suitable for men).

In terms of what I think might be the ‘best’, possibly switching between squatting, standing, kneeling, or even walking:

:laughing:

2 Likes

I was using the kneeling station in the past (bought one in Ikea) but nowadays I am using VANK_V6

2 Likes

I use a classic HermanMiller Aeron. I wouldn’t change it for any other chair.

4 Likes

I just bought a »VARIER VARIABLE BALANS«

I bought it trough a Danish shop. This is their webpage.

Can’t wait for it to arrive (end July as per COVID-19… :scream:)

2 Likes

Ah nice! Where did you get it from?

Let us know how you get on with it! :nerd_face:

1 Like

Same here on the Herman Miller. Had it for years (> 10) and it’s still perfect and causes no strains at all whilst sitting for hours on end :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I have an upholstered bench. It’s just the right height; there’s no back for me to lean against, and there’s room for my cats to curl up beside me when they want attention instead of jumping up on my desk and dancing in front of my screen.

2 Likes

Same. I’m sitting in mind as I type this and I have had it for 12 years. Best build quality of any chair I have ever owned. It’s even gotten to the point where I was having back pain from my chair in my office and now since I’m working from home because of the pandemic my back pain is almost completely gone.

3 Likes

I also invested in an Aeron years ago and never looked back; great chair.

My only issue is very specific to me: I’m 6’5" / 196cm tall and much of my height is in my torso, which makes the chair a bit uncomfortable on my shoulder blades.

3 Likes

I am eyeing the Steelcase Gesture lately and will very likely buy it. Read several reviews where people say that it can accommodate a wider group of people body builds and heights compared to the Herman Miller Aeron so maybe @Ted would reconsider in the future. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am pretty heavy at the moment and gotta lose weight plus I am 184cm so to me the Gesture looks like the clear winner.

4 Likes

That chair looks really comfy! I’ll definitely keep this in mind when my Aeron starts to fail. Thanks! :+1:

3 Likes

Make sure to watch a few reviews, I promise it will be worth your time. I learned a lot.

3 Likes

Looks good, but has no room for cats. :crying_cat_face:

3 Likes

Well obviously you buy one for your cat as well. We are their slaves after all. :cat:

4 Likes

A separate chair won’t cut it when your cat wants to curl up beside you.

4 Likes

I’m not a developer (I’m an editor), but I am in my chair for hours and have lower back issues. I currently have an Ekorns Stressless chair and an AirDesk, which serve me fairly well.

https://airdesks.com
airdesk2vu

STMAYFAIR

4 Likes

A black Ullman Niteflite. Had one at a previous job and it is the best one I’ve had so after a year with a gaming chair that was mostly bad for me I’ve invested in one for my office.

I’m tall and it is actually tall enough to support me. It allows me to bring my shoulders back and straighten up as much as I want. It has all the adjustment I need but doesn’t try to cradle me like a baby.

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Standing Desks

Currently waiting for a quote on the Steelcase Gesture with headrest and all-black:

I’m also very likely to buy 2-3 standing desks from the same company.

3 Likes