Writing fake online reviews could be made illegal

A plan to crack down on online rip-offs has been outlined by the government.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

I thought it already was! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

“[…] by the government”

What government? I guess, since this is BBC, that it’s the UK government, which means diddly squat for the rest of the world.

I believe it is in Denmark as well. However, online reviews are only ever of use when it’s not on the company’s own web pages. If you control the platform and get a bad review, you’d just delete it. There’s many 3rd party review platforms, but most have the same problem, that they are paid by the company’s and therefore the companies control the platform and can have bad reviews deleted. There’s been many cases of this on the Danish based Trustpilot.

3 Likes

Amazon are not too bad when it comes to writing your own reviews - they’ve never censored any of mine… but others (like Waitrose!) are really bad, sometimes they give you a ‘money off voucher’ to keep you quiet as well :joy:

It might be worth checking… I always thought it was here, but clearly turned out not to be (if the BBC are right).

2 Likes

Will this be enforceable?

2 Likes

I’m first wondering if it will even be detectable, at least by anyone “the” government will listen to. Then will it rise to the level where “the” government will GAF enough to bother even trying to enforce it. (Modulo of course any other motives whatever government may have for doing enforcement against a particular site – or not.)

Only aftering all the above in the affirmative, do we get to the question of can they? To which my answer is, almost certainly not, so long as they’re not also going after entire sites that are dodgy in the first place, springing up all over the world and claiming to be perfectly legitimate review (or sales) sites. It’s bound to be just as much a game of whack-a-mole as spam, phishing, and other forms of online fraud have always been.

2 Likes