Which Linux distro do you use in production?

Huge CentOS fan here - what about you?

1 Like

I use RedHat (not by choice) at work, and Debian or Ubuntu Server for my own things. I prefer the latter two because they ‘just work’ with more things, even if all I really use is docker. ^.^;

1 Like

I keep thinking about trying Ubuntu but used to hear horror stories from others many years ago …and I think it scared me :joy:

CentOS has been solid tho ime.

1 Like

CentOS or Ubuntu

2 Likes

I use Debian Buster, because my main technology it’s ruby so I use docker to build the images

2 Likes

I’m using Alpine/Docker :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ubuntu, it’s very predictable. I previously would always go for Debian but recently switched over for the LTS releases.

I used CoreOS professionally. In some ways it was great, but if you needed to change things it quickly turned into an undocumented headache, and then they deprecated it without a replacement. Thanks Red Hat. :roll_eyes:

I use Alpine or scratch for container images.

4 Likes

I thought Fedora core was meant as a replacement?

Anyway, at work we are not fixed to any distribution in particular.

We usually use what our customers want us to use, though prefer to use CentOS 7/8 where we are in charge to decide.

For container we prefer scratch if possible, though if it’s not we use alpine if possible, Debian if not.

2 Likes

What horror stories do you speak of? I know it was less stable way back in the 2000’s but then again so was every linux distro for a variety of reason. I don’t hear of any issues with in a long while, but then again I do use Kubuntu rather than Ubuntu (I’m not a fan of gtk for quite a variety of architectural, design, and code reasons).

RedHat-lite, lol. I would never touch redhat or any setup based on it in my personal stuff as long as I can choose that. Debian derivatives aren’t really my number one choice either, probably Solaris or FreeBSD would for servers. However, Debian and its most famous derivative Ubuntu (and the KDE version of it Kubuntu) I choose primarily because it has the largest source of documentation, community, and pre-built packages (though again I use docker when at all possible nowadays anyway). These are very good things for people more ‘new’ to linux like my wife (though like 8 years exclusive linux now) or my real life friends, they can actually google and answer any question they have themselves, which is not the case with, for example, manjaro or redhat versions, especially for gamers.

1 Like

Kind of, but they deprecated CoreOS and stopped releasing security updates long before Fedora core was released, and even then it wasn’t a drop in replacement so a lot of rework was required. It caused me to lose a lot of trust in Red Hat.

3 Likes

Even though I dislike CentOS for dev environment I actually like it for VPS-es. Never had a problem with it.

2 Likes

I’ve used it in production for over a decade now and touch wood it’s been fantastic.

1 Like

When I get to do Linux stuff at my day job it’s usually RHEL. I occasionally get to work with a BSD or AIX machine, and there was one occasion (long, long ago in 2004) when I had to shell into a SCO UNIX machine used by a Connecticut fire department to salvage their data for conversion to a more modern system.

2 Likes