Which language or framework do you want to learn next?

Elixir Nx and maybe Nerves.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m interested in digging into SwiftUI for iOS.

2 Likes

Continue to learn elixir

3 Likes
  • Rust
    We recently started using Rust at work for some internal tooling and I’ve been interested in Rust for awhile. So I figure now’s time. Hopefully we’ll do a book club for Rust In Action soon @AstonJ but for now I’m diving into rustlings. It’s fun!

• Swift
    I’ve written a few scripts in Swift and SwiftUI looks great. I’ve even heard of some dev writing quick personal tools with SwiftUI instead making CLIs or scripts.

2 Likes

Next? Hahahahaha, I’ve been slloooooowwwwwwwwwwly learning Elixir over the past several years, and I’m semi-retired so I probably won’t invest a lot of time in learning too much new. (On the other claw, top of the retirement destination list right now is Lisbon, so I am learning Portuguese.) Could definitely stand to bone up on OTP though, and learn the latest changes in Phoenix. (And get better with macros, behaviors, protocols, and so on.)

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: RustLatam 2019 - Kevin Hoffman: WebAssembly with Rust

Learning Lua because my 13-year old son is heavy into Roblox mods and learning Python because my son likes Python. :nerd_face: Glad I’m learning both - Python because it’s the defacto standard scripting language in almost every 3d application which I use heavily as a medical illustrator. Lua because I’m taking this course for fun with Gustavo Pezzi, Learn How to Make a Game Engine with C++ SDL and Lua.

3 Likes

A bit of trivia: Lua was adopted by LucasArts in 1998 as a scripting language for their 2d games such as Escape from Monkey Island. The game designers even incorporated the name ‘Lua’ in their game (see image). :nerd_face:

MonkeyIslandLuaBar

3 Likes

oak, my company is planning to move the expressjs stack to oak

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Any Elixir tutorials?

Been meaning to sit down and really learn SwiftUI for a while now.

4 Likes

Haskell for me. The pool of job is quit inexistant in France but it worth it I guess.

4 Likes

Im going to enroll into College again after 15yrs gap.

And also want to learn Maths while keeping programming in mind.

And during working hours I using Nodejs and Typedi, so I’m looking forward to work on Nest framework

3 Likes

Not any language or framework in particular but going to focus totally on advanced functional programming next year. Deep dive on purely functional data structures, category theory, lambda calculus – those sorta things. May learn Haskell or Idris to aid in those learning experiences.

3 Likes

My coworker is really impressed by dart/flutter, and wants to use that to build our mobile app.

Personally I still want to build something with Elixir, but GoLang and Kotlin are also tickling my fancy.

Rust would be something too, but I’m uncertain if I like the robustness of the syntax.

3 Likes

Build something in Elixir then join our Rust book club/s when we get them going next year :003:

3 Likes

Another language that has always intrigued me is Haxe which can target 7 different languages (JavaScript, C++, C#, Java, JVM, Python, Lua, PHP, Flash). But the tutorials are much more sparse than say Dart which are abundant. I will actually do quick input/output console programs to get a feel for such things as casting/converting/string interpolation, etc… it was much faster to find reference material for Dart than in Haxe.

3 Likes

Hopefully Kotlin if I am able to get a copy of this book :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Continuing to learn elixir :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve bought Metaprogramming Elixir, an express book.
Got not so much time lately, so a little book is quite enough.

4 Likes