Which keyboard do you have?

I actually quite like the underglow, I think that’s a purposeful effect in many cases to make keys differentiated. ^.^;

2 Likes

I might be in the minority here, but I personally really like the flat scissor keys, because they require less force (and less distance) to press. (And they usually are also more quiet).
For those who don’t know what that looks like:

3 Likes

I used an ErgoDox Ez for years and loved it but my RSI is getting worse and the model I had did not have replaceable keys, thus I had to sell it as it was too hard to push the keys down. I use a logi ergo K860 now and its good enough for now.

2 Likes

Fixed - please try now :smiley:

2 Likes

A Vortex VTG-8200, also called Vortex Race 3.

I’ve been thinking about getting new keycaps for it, just to spice things up.

3 Likes

At home, I use a Minidox (DSA PBT blanks, Zealios, Sprit 62S, Tribosys 3204):

minidox

On the go, I carry a Planck (Godspeed MT3, Zealios, Catweewee 55, Tribosys 3204):

Overall, I prefer the Minidox, but the caps and springs on the Planck are better, so at some point I’d like to build another Minidox with that setup.

My layout is a Colemak mod with layers (home row mods, home row arrows, home row numbers, etc.). It can be viewed on QMK master. I use the same layout on both boards (the Planck is set up in a wide mod to match the Minidox—center columns and extra corner keys are unused).

You can read more of my writing about alt layouts in this gist.

9 Likes

You should post that in a dedicated thread Dusty! That’s exactly the sort of content that we built our trending lists for :smiley:

It’s got me wondering whether we should also offer a ‘Hot in the past three years’ option too - because information like that is pretty timeless!!

If you fancy it, this or this are good sections for it - all it needs is a title, a short description or quote… and the link.

4 Likes

Switches: Kalih Pro Light green
PCB: GK61

and looking into the Minidox now after Dustys post :smiley:

4 Likes

Mine’s just a Logitech K840. Very basic, but considering that I only paid $50 for it a couple of years ago I think I got a good deal.

I think my next one will be a Unicomp unless I can get my hands on a Sun Microsystems Type 6 keyboard with a dedicated Cömpose key. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Planck rev6 with lubed Outemu Skys 62g and hand made wristrest

4 Likes

That looks straight out of science fiction. I wonder how long does one adapt to this device and how productive can one be with it?

2 Likes

That’s amazing! Where did you get those Futhark keycaps?

2 Likes

There is definitely some adaptation time. Having said that, after 2 years on a 36-key layout, I can’t imagine going back, and I’m more productive than I’ve ever been. For example, having all 4 modifiers on home row means you never have to move your hand for keybindings, no matter how complex they are. Same with numbers or Fkeys. It’s life changing.

I’ll admit, it requires a certain “all-in” attitude. Back and forth between sub-40% ortholinear and standard row-staggered boards is not a recipe for happiness.

2 Likes

That’s MiTo SA Pulse. Same designer as the Godspeed keycaps on my Planck above.

4 Likes

Does anyone know if there are scissor-keyboards with replaceable keycaps around?

I really love these custom keycap designs, but I strongly prefer scissor-keys over mechanical ones.

2 Likes

I don’t think there are Marten.

I use a flat keyboard too (Apple’s Magic Keyboard 2) because I remember that when I had a mechanical keyboard my wrists felt the strain because they are just so high. However I love the feel of mechanical keyboards and so am considering modifying my desk to accommodate one - so it’s height would more or less become the same as a flat keyboard. I’ve thought about using wrist rest, but that would then effectively double the space required and I usually have my note book directly beneath my keyboard!

If you find any let me know! I am seriously considering cutting a recess into my desk to slot a keyboard into :laughing:

2 Likes

If what you like about scissors is the low profile and short travel, there are an increasing number of vendors offering caps for Kailh Choc low-profile switches.

4 Likes

Just a thought, you might also want to consider getting a slim mechanical keyboard. For obvious reasons it will never be as slim as your current Apple keyboard but I’ve made good experiences with the Keychron K1 (I’m using it in the office).

3 Likes

Not really, as earlier I was using XD75 with Outemu Purple Ice

But seriously, getting used to ortho is day or two, getting used to 40% is a little bit harder.

4 Likes

Fair enough.

What about wrist rests?

2 Likes