Where do you work?

Want to plug where you work? Here’s your chance!

Perhaps you could also mention what kind of stuff you’re working on? :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Remote. I work from home even before COVID-19 came and made that the norm.

I work at Elastic, on the Enterprise Search team working on the Workplace Search product.

We make searching through all of your internal documents easy. If your company has information in Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, SharePoint, Jira, Confluence and more Workplace Search allows you to connect all of these and get one unified search box for all of it.

Workplace Search is created in JRuby with a React frontend. I mostly work in the JRuby layer.

5 Likes

Nice one Ohm! I wondered whether JRuby was still going - do many people still use it (and Rubinius? Tho maybe @jc00ke will know more about that :D)

2 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t know of many using Rubinius, which I think is a real shame. There’s some really interesting work going on in its VM, JIT and tools, but the lead developer hasn’t had much time in the last year to work on it.

2 Likes

Ah that’s a shame Jesse, I remember there was quite a bit of excitement for Rubinius (and JRuby) back when I was learning Ruby. I wonder if the advent of languages like Crystal (and even Elixir) may be a reason people use them less now? I don’t remember how compatible they are with libraries such as Rails, but that’d be a strong benefit in using JRuby and Rubinius over the new languages if it were the case.

2 Likes

Crystal and Elixir, along with Go and Rust, definitely took some of Ruby’s share, at least that’s how I see it. JRuby has been Rails-compatible for a long time; Rubinius was at one time but there’s been so many changes that I wouldn’t expect it to be anymore.

4 Likes

I’m employed at betterdoc.org in Cologne, Germany.

We’re helping patients to find the best doctor for their particular health problem, all specifically tailored to their background, place of residence, and ability to travel. By finding the best possible doctor for their particular situation we can avoid a lot of “doctor ping-pong” where patients are switching from one doctor to the next without getting proper treatment.

As this saves time and money for the patient and the patient’s insurance, we’re co-operating with a lot of insurances in Germany and Switzerland, to offer the service free of charge for their insured.

Under the hood we’re using Ruby and Elixir to build a micro-service landscape which we coordinate with a micro frontends solution we dubbed “Stacker”.

I really enjoy working here because:

• we build a product which actually helps people live better lives
  • we’re using interesting technology with Elixir and micro-frontends
  • each friday is “innovation friday” were we can learn something new/try something out/read a book (20% time)
  • with the beginning of the pandamic we kinda became a close to “full remote” company; I haven’t been in the office in 3 months and the leadership wants to stick with that

And yeah, we’re hiring. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I am a Developer Advocate for Mobile API Security at Approov:

I mainly work in creating and maintaining the Approov quickstart integrations for each backend language and sometimes also do some work on the Android side. I also create and maintain some demos to show how the Mobile App Attestation from Approov works and/or how it can be easily integrated in a mobile app to lock it down to the API server.

NOTE: Feel free to tell me where I can improve the code in the linked repos, because by working in so many languages doesn’t make me the master of any :wink:

I also create some blog posts about mobile API security, were some are a Approov related but a fair amount of them are just educational in terms of Mobile API security.

NOTE: If you would like to see a blog post from me for a specific Mobile API Security topic, not covered yet, then please feel free to ask for it :slight_smile:

The move into the Mobile API security space was a natural move for me, because I started to be interested in API security when I was working as an API developer at one of the leading companies for Mobile Apps in the UK. The company was NN4M and I was working in the APIs for mobile apps of Selfridges, Mothercare, Debenhams and others.

If you are interested in working in Mobile API Security then please send me a private message so that we can talk further.

3 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: What does a developer advocate do?

I’m the Lead Developer at Children International. We’re a US-based nonprofit on a mission to lift children out of poverty, and through them their families and communities. We currently serve kids in 10 countries around the world with programs in health, education, empowerment and life skills, and employment.

This year because of covid we’ve had to transform our operations from being largely face-to-face to being almost entirely no-contact. It’s been a huge lift and we’re still not done, but it’s been massively rewarding to see how our global network of employees and volunteers has rallied to face the challenge.

3 Likes

I want to add to what I already hinted at here but which became official literally today: we’re hiring and we’re offering remote work.

As our job postings aren’t updated yet: shoot me a DM if you’re interested!

2 Likes

I work for myself running underjord.io. I consult with companies in a freelance capacity. Mostly development. I also offer mentorship for developers, inexperienced or veterans according to their needs.

Mostly I’m very keen to code my own projects and do open source stuff but the bills come first.

I have a project I’m working on that I hope to try with some people soon. It should go public as open source of all goes well.

5 Likes