What was your experience with React-Native / NativeScript / Ionic / Cordova / Framework-7 / Flutter / Kotlin Multiplatform / Xamarin / RubyMotion?

Why would you prefer one of the above tools over other? What was your experience while using these tools. What was your experience about the performance or the file (apk / ipa) size? Anything else you’d like to share?

Since many of the users of DevTalk came from Elixirforum: How did it play with websockets and Phoenix channels?

Thank you in advance!

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

https://twitter.com/dev_talk/status/1355203063439568905

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

I have used MacRuby (what RubyMotion became) and I quite enjoyed it - I made a small app and put it on the Mac App Store and was surprised by how many bought it (I priced it at the cheapest level, which is/was 99p here in the UK). I haven’t used it for mobile apps but I’d expect the experience to be fairly similar.

2 Likes

So it means RubyMotion is a mature technology.

2 Likes

I wish it were open source @pillaiindu - I think it could have grown at a much faster pace if they went down that route :smiley:

1 Like

Yes.
I wish Microsoft buys it the way they bought Xamarin and open sourced it. :smile:

2 Likes

Hi @pillaiindu
I would like to share my experience with various cross-platform mobile development frameworks and how they worked for me. I have had the opportunity to work with React Native, Flutter, and Xamarin, and here’s my take on each of them:

1. React Native: My experience with React Native has been mostly positive. The framework allowed me to write mobile apps using JavaScript and React, which I found to be familiar and easy to work with, especially as a web developer. The performance was quite good, and the apps felt smooth. However, the APK size tended to be larger compared to some other frameworks.
  2. Flutter: Flutter, based on Dart, impressed me with its widget-based approach. It provided a great development experience, with its hot reload feature and expressive UI components. The performance of Flutter apps was exceptional, and I was able to achieve native-like performance. Additionally, the file size of the APKs was relatively smaller compared to React Native.
  3. Xamarin: My experience with Xamarin, which utilizes C# and .NET, was positive as well. As someone already familiar with C#, it felt comfortable to work with. Xamarin allowed me to share code across platforms effectively, reducing development time. However, I noticed that the performance of Xamarin apps could sometimes be slightly lower than native apps, especially for complex animations.
    In short, choosing the right framework depends on the specific project requirements and your team’s skillset. React Native is a solid choice for projects where quick development and a familiar web-like approach are essential. Flutter, on the other hand, excels in performance and can be a great fit for apps that demand a native feel and look. Xamarin is a good option if you’re already invested in the .NET ecosystem and prefer to work with C#.
1 Like