What tooling are you using to test a web application?

When building a web application there are quite a number of quality assurance related tools out there. Among them tools to do (a non-exhaustive list):

Now what I’m curious to hear is what concrete tools you’ve been using, why you’ve been using them, and what your experience with them is.

I’d like to focus on language agnostic tools (speak it doesn’t assume the language your app is built in) but if your language of choice has a super-rad thing you’d like to showcase in this category then feel free to do so. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

For simpler projects I generally look at top stats on the server and monitor resources used per page/request type.

This is really interesting when you turn things on like caching, and also really good for when you don’t have much control over the software used - eg, when you use Wordpress, Discourse or other 3rd party software.

2 Likes

Monitoring is an interesting area of tools too!

But I was thinking more of tooling which you’d be using before your application hits production. Anything from ensuring it can handle the expected load, verifying that API endpoints don’t behave unexpectedly when receiving garbage data, performing UI tests, to checking data sent to third-party services.

To speak in concrete terms, here are some tools I know of (but haven’t necessarily used) which fall into this category:

Is there any tool you’re using in this category, @AstonJ? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

We’re currently using Selenium (legacy) for UI testing before deploys. We’re investigating Selenium WebDriver as an alternative, but it’s slow going as we’re bottlenecked in dev at the moment.

2 Likes

Like @ShowMeBillyJo, the only one I’ve used is Selenium as well, however when working on projects solely (most of the time now) I generally skip anything that gets in the way of adding features so tend to skip testing, etc

I think Dave Thomas said something similar too recently, which makes me feel less bad about it :see_no_evil:

1 Like