What non-programming related books are you reading?

I’m finishing Utopia by Thomas More, really interesting book.

It makes me wonder if such a place could be possible someday …

By the way you can read it for free on kindle :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Currently reading “Eternity Road” by Jack McDevitt.

2 Likes

Self help books

4 Likes

Sapiens by Yuval Noah

Design of everyday things by Don Norman

4 Likes

Do Epic Shit
Book by Ankur Warikoo

2 Likes

I’m currently reading Finite and Infinite Games: A Vision of Life as Play and Possibility.

It’s a short (152 pages), but very dense, introduction to the philosophical concept of Finite and Infinite games. My brain hurts reading more than 10 pages at a time. :laughing:

3 Likes

Judging by some of the reviews it looks like you’re not the only one :lol:

Any favourite bits Ohm?

1 Like

I only got to read half of it in the plane, and as I said, it’s quite tough to get through. :sweat_smile:

I don’t think you could have a favourite bit, as it all one coherent philosophy.

1 Like

Staff Engineers path

1 Like

Last time I bough all of those books:

So far I have read one of them and it’s excellent. The rest books are taking all of the top positions in my reading plans. Definitely recommend them for anyone who knows Polish language.

1 Like

I finished “The death of Ivan Ilyich” other day, nice book, but too depressive. :sweat_smile:
Now I’m about to start reading “Kanji from zero - vol 2”, well, I hope to be able to master a bunch of kanjis and improve my japanese once I finish it 0=)

1 Like

I just bought the book Atomic Habits last weekend, but I haven’t started on it yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just finished 'The Millionaire Fastlane" by MJ DeMarco - excellent advice for business owners.
Started “Every Layout” (though it is programming related book).
If you’re into sci-fi/fantasy, I can recommend books by Chris Fox. His ‘Magitech’ series is excellent.

1 Like

Which translation? If you’re only 5% in, you might want to see: https://welovetranslations.com/2021/06/18/whats-the-best-translation-of-anna-karenina/

I’d personally choose Bartlett if I were to pick that book up today; to me it flows the best, is most vivid, and retains Tolstoy’s humor (something critics claim is lost a bit in Pevear and Volokhonsky, the version I read).

Edit: You might like this article also, by the wonderful Masha Gessen. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/28/books/review/new-translations-of-tolstoys-anna-karenina.html

1 Like

hi @iPaul - I read the first book of the Three Body problem but, unlike yourself, in the end, I couldn’t bring myself to continue… :frowning:

1 Like

This year I have challenged myself to read more science fiction and so every now and then I pick up a sci-fi book I know nothing about. Right now I am reading Firefall, by Peter Watts. It’s 2 books in one. I have finished the first and just started the second. The style of writing is unusual from what I am used to. It is written in English and I am a native English speaker. It’s kind of like Transformers meets Alien meets … Near Dark … kind of…

@AstonJ - I have added Civilized To Death to my “to read” list. You are correct in saying that it would resonate with us. I am getting obsessed/worried with the state of our society … it’s obviously an age thing! :rofl:

1 Like

Ah awesome, let me know how you get on! The audiobook is pretty neat if you can get to listen to it :023:

I didn’t read anything related programming for some years now.
There are a lot of books which are more interested to read.

Recently I read “Midnight in Chernobyl” by Adam Higginbotham which is not about programming, but is related to engineering – and it is good reading for many reasons:

• I live in Poland and was about 15 in 1986.
  • Many interviews and relation from first hand, which is always good to listen/read.

Also I read “Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina” – not so good, especially in comparison with historian works/opinions about Claudius (first part was better).

Now I read last part of SF “Algorithm of War” by polish author Michal Cholewa which is very, very good – the story is about war between US, UE and China after Earth was destroyed in war with AI. These three human “countries” fight with each other about what left (they depends on AI and lost most of the recourses after war with AI) and with AI which left – and these descriptions of AI are really, really scary – Cholewa is AI scientist, his father is famous book translator and he know how to tell the story.
Space battles when everything is predicted with probability is also nice (and scary).

1 Like

Reading comic book called zom 100. It was about a youngster resigned his job after he found the world were full of zombies.

Quite fun.

1 Like

“D-Day Tank Hunter” it is a book written by a German officer about his experience during the second world war.

1 Like