What is simplicity in programming and why does it matter?

What is simplicity in programming and why does it matter?.
When I started with Clojure, I saw a language. Some people, when they look at it, they only see a weird syntax. It took me years to realize that in truth Clojure is a philosophy. The language embodies it, the ecosystem embraces it and grows from it, you the developer eventually soak it up.The philosophy is simplicity - on a very profound level - and, to a lesser degree, ergonomics [1]. What do I mean by simplicity and ergonomics? Simplicity is about breaking things apart into their elementary constituents that are orthogonal to each other. Ergonomics is about making it possible and convenient to combine these elements in arbitrary, powerful ways. You end up with simple things that have single responsibility and that you can combine freely to suit your unique needs. These elements are simple but also generic and thus applicable in many situations and usable in many ways. This is crucial also for flexibility:

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.