What do you think the giants in the industry are working on behind closed doors?

Not products (tho that would be an interesting thread too!) but developer wise - languages, frameworks and other technology; what do you think companies like Apple and Google are working on in secret? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Well for overall working on, AI, just outright, they want to automate as much a they can. Not so much secret though, but precisely how far each has gotten probably is.

2 Likes

Judging by latest efforts from Facebook (their codemod tool) and by knowing how corporations always want to save money, I’d say that the software tech giants at least are trying really hard to commoditize code refactoring – and maybe even generating fully functioning projects.

I also wrote about this in several other threads: it’s high time we have tools that can do trivial code editing for us, like “move this function from module A to module B and make sure all previous callers are now calling the new module and function” or “delete this arm of this nested if-else-else-else condition and make sure tests pass”… The possibilities are limitless, the gains and savings – enormous.

2 Likes

Do it Dimi! I’m sure you could come up with something if it is something you are really passionate about :blush:

It’s definitely going to be a part of the future, and I wonder how far in our future we will see it? Deserves a thread of its own too I reckon! :smiley:

2 Likes