What do you think about Data-Oriented Programming?

What do people think about Data-Oriented Programming, like this book tackles? https://www.manning.com/books/data-oriented-programming

How is it different from FP? Can you do DOP with Elixir?

5 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

I think this was always true but somewhere after the original geniuses of computer sciences all of us in the industry forgot about it.

Anything I do with programming, I always bump into data (de)serialization problems and all the issues from needing network to persist your state. In-process databases like sqlite3 / duckdb / sled partially solve those problems.

IMO one day we’ll just have the far successor of PostgreSQL which will allow you to script in all accepted programming languages. Which isn’t far from reality even now: PostgreSQL: Software Catalogue - Procedural languages

IMO the whole all area will be hugely simplified when we finally start to directly code against our DB with the programming language of our choice.

2 Likes

Haven’t read the book, but from the blurbs, the concept seems to be basically “screw all this extra over-engineered nonsense that the so-called ‘OO’ gurus have saddled us with, let’s just go back to good encapsulation with simpler mechanisms”
 like I learned in school before OO was hot, before C++ was invented. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This seems like an interesting stuff to look into. Thanks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Isn’t it what FP does under the hood? Separate data from code?

I can see the difference with OOP, but less with FP.

5 Likes

Same here. But maybe its concepts are simpler than FP.

2 Likes

Maybe no lambda calculus, category theory, and the mathematical foundations of FP?

2 Likes