What dev-related stuff have you been up to?

Finishing ‘Learn Enough Ruby to be Dangerous’ book by Michael Hartl to deepen my Ruby skills. Looking forward to tacking Ruby on Rails next.

3 Likes

How is that book? I never did anything beyond a FizzBuzz or two with Ruby and was thinking to dive in a little.

Looks like from your other posts I’d be very much interested to learn your Ruby experience. Please share some of the bits if you have the time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think the Learn Enough series books are a great quick introduction and overview of the topic covered. Previously finished the Learn Enough JavaScript book as well - both JS and Ruby books actually have the same examples/projects, but .implemented with JS or Ruby. The book provides a quick, well thought-through intro and overview of the basic syntax, methods, OOP and TDD principles, creating a gem and building a simple web app in Sinatra. Exercises are increasing in difficulty with plenty of hints and repetition, with solid teaching principles - something that is severely lacking in most online tutorials.
Overall, I wholeheartedly recommend Learn Enough series books.

3 Likes

Thank you. I will certainly look into this. I am also eying the new pickaxe book. Maybe I’ll get that too once it gets out.

3 Likes

Yes, I am also eyeing the updated Pickaxe book, as well as Agile web development with Rails.

3 Likes

Took advantage of the Black Friday deals to buy freelancing related courses to up my game in 2023.

2 Likes

Don’t Use Oracle based school ERP systems! Ack! Stringly-typed Oracle Database Horror! Enumerations? What’s that? Nah let’s use random characters to indicate certain things with no limitations on what they can be even though only certain ones work so people end up typing in accidentally the wrong things ohsoverymanytimes! Unique indexes? What’s that? THREE distinct methods of keeping historical data sure! Normalization? N5? Nah we don’t care about that apparently, heck we don’t even care about hitting N1 of normalization! Duplicate so much data in so many places in so many conflicting ways in mismatched ways, yes that’s the glory! Oh and yes, let’s make all “processing” on the data be an utter hoard of C files that compile to the oracle system taking like 6000 lines of code in a single file to do what could have been done in like 200 lines, and there’s like 1200 of these ‘processes’ that get called by SQL in oracle to do stuff, again most of which could have been done just straight in SQL anyway. And I’m still barely scratching this… >.>

/me twitches…

So yeah, that’s been my life for the past month, lol…

3 Likes

I just set up an AKKA cluster with Cluster Sharding, and I think it’s super cool :slight_smile:
Took me a while because all examples were not exactly what i wanted, as always :stuck_out_tongue:
Now I’ve got a cluster with event sourced actors which are willing to serve my requests :smiley:
Next thing to do is a performance test, I aim for ~10000 requests/second doing some calculation and storing data…

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Bridgetown (a Jekyll successor)

Been enjoying Go since 2023. So far solving random problems and getting used to the syntax but might start something more substantial soon. Go is going to be my language of the year.

1 Like

Just moved to Florida temporarily for a contract work. 6 months, hopefully it will be extended for a year :slight_smile:

1 Like

Learning Rails. Exciting to see what projects I will be able to build this year.

1 Like

Making Build & Release pipelines in Microsoft Azure DevOps.

1 Like

Brushing up on design skills, to lessen my dependency on UI frameworks and themes.

1 Like

Alright, time to finish up my portfolio website redesign and start putting out some content.

1 Like

I tried learn kotlin and android. And make apps. Now I have a goal learn elixir and framework Phoenix.

1 Like

I have been working with Wordpress for about three years. But I’m tired of seeing how many clients and programmers spoil this good CMS with a bunch of plugins - it’s terrible. Instead of writing a few lines of PHP code, they install a plugin for every task. Because of this, many clients do not want to pay a lot for the development of a site on WordPress, and it has become more difficult to earn money in this area. Now I want to study a framework the Phoenix on Elixir framework.

2 Likes

Learning Rust. Again. So many times in the past I attempted and gave up I lost count. Let this be one more of those (hopefully not)

2 Likes

I am creating a microservices based api service to connect with TimeScale DB for an IOT Project.

1 Like

oh, that sounds like my Rust experiment :slight_smile:

1 Like