What are the 'coolest' languages and tech right now?

Inspired by this post from @Carter, which languages, frameworks or other tech or tools do you think is killing it right now? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Idris, Agda, OTP, Phoenix Liveview.

7 Likes

:crab:
:crab:R
U :crab:
:crab:S
T :crab:
:crab:

9 Likes

One of the things I love about Erlang/OTP being so cool is that they’re decades old - isn’t it awesome when something (and sometimes, someone) are so ahead of their time? :sunglasses:

Rust is definitely up there!

I am going to add WASM, TypeScript and Svelte to the list, as well as Elixir for being the gateway to Erlang/OTP for so many of us :nerd_face:

9 Likes

Another vote for Rust :crab:

Idris: A Language for Type-Driven Development - what is type driven development :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Added portals for:

:+1:

4 Likes

Erlang/OTP + observer -> Elixir -> ecto + phoenix -> scenic
simple & short code, streaming, releases, many tiny VM processes, new UI i.e. not just another GTK+, Qt or wxWidgets bindings

Unfortunately Elixir took all of Rust and other languages attention as same as scenic took attention for creating client and UI. That’s why I’m not so much interested in LiveDashboard and LiveView even when have so much amazing features like extremely simple File Uploads.

For working on code: credo, dialyxir and excoveralls

And many other Elixir projects which gives me inspiration everyday.

5 Likes

:heart::heart::heart:

Amazing, thank you.

3 Likes

Rust programming… no turning back

5 Likes

On the hardware side, I’m seeing lots of good things about the Apple M1 chips. Definitely gonna upgrade my Mini and MBAir.

Just wish I could get a Mini with 32 GB RAM. That’s probably coming in the next generation, but I don’t wanna wait that long – both these boxen are from 2014 and the Mini has gotten unstable. :frowning:

3 Likes

Rust, Python, C++.

3 Likes

no love for Elm? or am I posting this in wrong thread? also no arm (m1) for Elm yet?

3 Likes

Elixir, Phoenix, and OTP. Especially excited for OTP 24 bringing JIT to the BEAM.

3 Likes

Rust, C++20

2 Likes

How do I upvote a post multiple times? Lol

But yes, Rust and Idris are still awesome modern ones (is Idris still considered ‘new’ or has it aged enough yet?). Elixir is cool but its backed by an old, stable, and awesome VM so I’m torn on whether it could be considered that new, definitely still cool.

And OCaml I always love, but that’s a personal thing, lol, still advancing slowly as always.

The Elm language has a few… issues that make using the language-in-anger a bit rough… ^.^;
Try OCaml instead. ^.^

5 Likes

OCaml for frontend? was learning Elm cause its refreshing. but i agree with you, i was mostly frustrated on my way of learning it :\

2 Likes

Elixir w/ Phoenix Liveview <-> svelte

2 Likes

Wish they weren’t too expensive :frowning:

2 Likes

By doing this :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: or :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:, hehehe :man_dancing:

2 Likes