What are some great learning resources for Elixir?

I’ve recently become interested in Elixir and all it’s neat perks. And since I’m currently working on a messaging platform; elixir seems to be the perfect choice.

I’ve found a few resources online already, such as Pragmatic Studio (who actually brought me to this site :eyes:) and elixircasts.io

What I really like about these resources is that you can actually make projects while watching, it’s just better than reading the elixir docs imo :joy:

Pragmatic Studio is great. I could really understand what they were saying and I had fun while following them, unlike other resources like YouTube videos. Sadly, it all ended way too soon imo and I can’t really shell out $99 to continue. Currently hoping it goes well for me on the giveaways :sweat_smile:

elixircasts.io has a few neat videos but they are very unorganized and it’s hard to navigate. So i pretty much gave up on that site :grimacing:

Does anyone know any other (preferably free) resources for learning elixir? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

https://twitter.com/dev_talk/status/1350905748612673537

Share link for this tweet.

Related portal:

Well you’ve found two of the best video resources already Mr GD :nerd_face:

ElixirCasts (and screencasts in general) aren’t meant to be watched in an ordered fashion btw, they are usually more like a library of tips for when you come across a specific problem. What you find is over time these resources become incredibly useful - particularly when working on an actual project because when you find you want to do something, you may well find an episode that shows you exactly how to do it! Courses like those the Pragmatic bookshelf offer are generally more for the learning stages, though of course are also useful for when you need a recap :smiley:

Keep an eye on the learning resources sections for both Elixir and Erlang:

With regards to learning resources, if you’re on a tight budget - enter our giveaways! You’d might be surprised one day!

If budget is less of an issue, I would highly recommend ANY book by PragProg or Manning or in fact any other publisher that professionally edits their authors books. I have found over the years that professional editing is priceless, and why I always try to encourage self-publishers to go with a tech publisher if they can. (Also don’t forget you can get money off with our discounts!)

If you can let us know a little more about your background, how much programming you already know, how long you’ve been programming etc we should be able to recommend you something more specific :+1:

1 Like

Woah, thanks!

I’m a full stack developer and know react, nodejs, html/css/js and python. I recently started working with react, I got at least 2 years experience with the other things on the list

1 Like

In that case I would start with Programming Elixir or Elixir in Action - or both! I loved both but if you can only get one simply read the preview chapters and go with whichever author feels like they’re on the same wavelength as you.

Here are my reviews for each:

And

Saša Jurić is also very active on the Elixir Forum so check out some of his posts, and here’s PragDave’s profile - tho unfortunately last I heard he’s no longer using Elixir. You can’t go wrong with either book tbh - just follow your heart and go with whoever’s writing style your prefer.

Some of the other books I’ve read and have really enjoyed are…

And I started Programming Phoenix but have decided to read it last - just before I start working on a Phoenix app because I feel out of everything, the Phoenix stuff will need to be fresh in my mind most. Here are some of my comments tho:

I am also in the process of reading Programming Erlang and and loving it!

Honestly tho, I don’t think you can go wring with any of the books from PragProg or Manning, and (especially with out discount) they are so affordable that I recommend reading them all :nerd:

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

1 Like

Woah, thank you so much!! I’ll definetly find something to read. :raised_hands:

Btw, do you know any modules (or whatever they’re called for Elixir :sweat_smile:) that are similar to Ecto but works with ScyllaDB?

1 Like

Also worth mentioning:
https://elixirschool.com/

2 Likes

Ah yeah ElixirSchool is brilliant… and it’s free! :+1:

Unfortunately I don’t, but there are some threads that mention it here.

Our package manager is:

:smiley:

1 Like