What are/can governments do in this Coronavirus pandemic?

Perhaps we can use this thread to come up with ideas, learn what other countries are doing and then contacting our local politicians with any ideas we think they need to pursue.

2 Likes

Here’s what the UK is doing, which, I must admit came as a welcomed surprise:

Amongst enforcing social distancing (pubs, cafes, restaurants etc, to close from this weekend) they will be paying 80% of wages for employees not working, up to £2,500 a month. This will be a huge help for those working in such sectors and hopefully help prevent widespread panic. I hope other countries are doing the same.

2 Likes

In Poland typical (not comparing to £2,500) is 5-6 times smaller than in lets say Germany. Such amount of money would kill our economy (even if we would have it) as most of people would just not work and country would simply stop.

Most of things should be done right/much before or at start of epidemic. I heard that Canada made good moves really fast and it’s really enough at least for start. Even that our government in Poland can’t do. All because of politic and next elections …

There are really not much things people want from government:

1. The most important thing is to do not disturb - really even that would be like a help of god.
  2. Secondly made an impact on media, send good instructions and don’t allow any panic. Even with those 2 points we are in Poland could chill - not much, eh?
  3. At least try to do something about lack of anti-virus masks, disinfectants and medicaments.

I really do not wish for anything else.

Credible people who are able to guarantee this could have huge support in the election. The important word here is credible. It does not apply to literally any of our politicians.

1 Like

We’ve just had stricter measures imposed here:

From this evening people must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.

Shops selling non-essential goods will also be shut and gatherings in public of more than two people who do not live together prohibited.

The UK death toll has reached 335.

Any changes where you live?

3 Likes

Literally we just had that announcement and I already feel the need to go to the shops. I don’t need to but something about being told I can’t/shouldn’t makes me want to! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same, I really felt like going for a walk when I heard the news! :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

UK govt now extended scheme to self-employed people:

1 Like