VS Code – What's the deal with the telemetry?

VS Code - What’s the deal with the telemetry?.
VS Code collects telemetry data to help understand Microsoft how to improve the product. Is it above board? Can I turn it off completely?

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

Good luck with that :043:

1 Like

Sadly in line with every other piece of software these days. Got to get that data!

In this case there are great alternatives in Vim or Emacs though.

2 Likes

Yup! It’s also one of the reasons I still love TextMate - it only ever wants to connect when you are doing something that requires a connection (which I very rare with TextMate anyway).

1 Like

I know Vim but I’ve always used it as an extension inside another code editor / IDE, and occasionally for editing a small file in environments where Vi/Vim and Nano are the only options. Would someone recommend me a book or some other resource to help me setup Vim in a way that it replaces VS Code completely. I’m even willing to learn Emacs if Vim alone can’t do that.
I also own OniVim, but I don’t know if that can become a replacement of VS Code.

1 Like

There is a set-up guide here: Neovim - Elixir Setup Configuration from Scratch Guide - Wikis - Elixir Programming Language Forum but I think most will use something like LunarVim - I tried it and it’s pretty good.

PragProg has some Vim books: book-modern-vim and book-practical-vim-second-edition :023: (not sure if they include neovim or LS info tho)

1 Like

Thank you Aston! :pray:

1 Like