Unison programming language

Has anyone ever heard of this language? https://www.unisonweb.org/ I’m completely fascinated by the main idea of this language. I like seeing ideas that explore workflows outside of author a bunch of text files, shove them into a compiler and wait for the results. I’m a fan of interactive programming, where I’m getting feedback as I author the code. SmallTalk was about interactively which seems to have been lost in the last few decades when it comes to development. One of the creators also has done several talks on the language. Here is one of them:

Even if this language doesn’t see a lot of traction, I hope the idea behind it does.

5 Likes

Initial thoughts: Sounds awesome!!

What is Unison? It is an open-source, statically typed functional langauge. Influenced by Haskell, Erlang and a research language called Frank. Unison itself has been a research project for several years and we’ve just started alpha testing (public).

LOVE the branding, and everything he’s said in the first two minutes. Especially this:

We want to make programming more fun, simpler, easier and eliminate needless complexity and do that by willing to rethink pretty much anything and everything about how programming currently works.

What’s not to like about that?!! :nerd_face:

I’m sure I’ve heard their core idea before - didn’t Joe Armstrong also say code should be identified not by it’s name but by a hash of its content?

I’ve only watched the first few minutes but I love everything about this language already - it even has it’s tag line on point:

A friendly programming language from the future.

Definitely one to watch!!

Thanks for sharing Lee!!

4 Likes