Toshiba shuts the lid on laptops

Used to see a lot of Toshiba laptops and they always seemed reliable (or didn’t hear people complaining about them!). Not sure if it’s just me but I always find it a bit sad when old iconic companies that used to be focused on high tech / quality begin to struggle or disappear…

The Japanese giant Toshiba has sold its final stake in the personal computer maker Dynabook.

It means the firm no longer has a connection with making PCs or laptops.

In 2011 Toshiba sold more than 17m PCs but by 2017 this had fallen to 1.9m, reported Reuters at the time.

2 Likes

That’s a shame; as far as I know, Toshiba had a good reputation for laptops.

I think this explains why I had a hard time finding an OEM replacement battery for my wife’s laptop last month.

I went with a third party brand and so far so good.

2 Likes

How old is her laptop Ted? The battery on my MBA lasted quite a long time, whereas on my iPhone it’s become terrible in just a few years.

2 Likes

We ordered her laptop in 2014, direct from Toshiba.

2 Likes

That’s pretty good if it lasted 6 years :smiley:

2 Likes

I bought my Acer laptop the same year and it’s still going strong; no battery woes at all. :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

To be fair, most laptops are fairly durable, although my brother’s Acer laptop (relatively low-class) lost its videocard after 6 years of work. But then again he almost treats it like a dining table sometimes so not very surprising. :laughing:

I’ve heard many people repurposing laptops to use them as mini-servers because they have a built-in battery.

3 Likes

I did this with my previous, tiny Acer netbook and an install of Linux Mint.

I ended up serving some static HTML of some Monster Hunter 4U :crossed_swords: data with Apache httpd.

I did this because the Nintendo 3DS has a low-powered web browser, which was kinda adequate six years ago but doesn’t have the oomph for JS frontends like Angular and React.

So I grabbed the JSON, generated some bare bones HTML, and viola; I had a quick reference without leaving the console, all tucked within the home network. :rocket:

3 Likes