Things spammers and scammers say

…that make you go hmmm :thinking:

Feel free to add anything you’ve been sent that you’ve found a little bit amusing :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hello Sir/Madam

I am Mr. Jeff the Chief accountant of a reputable Security Company
here in the United Kingdom. I have a floating Ten Million British Pounds
Sterlings (10,000,000,00) from one of our Client Ms. Karoline Aadland,
a Norway Citizen who died in May 2020 due to Covid-19 complications.

I noticed from all her Documents that she did not include any next of Kin
to her fund deposits, I who are privy to this funds are soliciting for your
urgent assistance to get this funds moved out of the United Kingdom to
your Country.

Upon your acceptance, kindly forward your Address and Private phone
number to this my email: jeff.white@, I shall furnish you with
more details.

Be rest assured that this Business is 100% risk free, I look forward to your
kind and urgent response as quickly as possible.

Please, treat this my personal message to you as most confidential.

Yours Faithfully,

Mr. Jeff

Erm, hello, I’m actually in the UK :rofl:

4 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

CONGRATULATIONS! You are the lucky online winner of a brand new Sweepstakes Apple iPhone 12 entry!

Yeah, sure I am… :joy:

3 Likes

No, that’s perfectly legit – you are the winner of an entry in some sweepstakes. Value, nil of course. Or rather, negative, if you bother claiming it, thus verifying the contact info.

2 Likes

Ok, that is fair… :joy:

2 Likes

Of course, the classic spam scam has got to be “I read your {resume|profile} and was very impressed with your experience with regards to an opening at one of my best clients. Please revert me your CV at your earliest convenience.”

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to read a book about this, Phishing For Phools by two economists of whom I’m a fan, Robert Shiller and George Akerlof. It’s been on my reading list, one of those books I’ve listened about and read articles about probably just enough that I’ve never taken the time for the book itself. Both Akerlof and Shiller have changed economics toward something that accepts and tries to understand the irrational elements of economic decision-making. This particular book is a kind of history of scams and bad-faith economic acts in the US (they say they didn’t want to insult other people’s countries), and that’s tied to some greater ramifications about how we can see the economy and market activity in general.

Quicktake:

Meal/chores hour video:

2 Likes

Let us know what you think of it if you ever get around to it @malloryerik :smiley:

1 Like