Stress, burnout and redundancy: Tough times in IT

You would think that an IT professional could switch to remote working smoothly.

But that’s a misconception, according to Jack Stevens, senior product manager at IT services company Publicis Sapient.

I as going to say, something that only a manager would say ^^ :rofl: though he goes into more here:

Mr Stevens struggled for a number of weeks with his sleep, his productivity dipped and he constantly felt exhausted. He was constantly worried that he would be laid off as he only joined the company a year ago, and this combined with remote working, made him work longer hours as he battled with presenteeism.

“I spent time working on a project four weekends in a row, 10 to 14-hour days, and I don’t think I did any more work than I would have if I was working a normal 9 to 5 job, but it was a way of making up for the fact that people aren’t seeing you,” he says.

His employer Publicis Sapient says it provided employees with a number of resources “to help them manage their mental health and wellbeing in these uncertain times”, including free subscriptions to the mindfulness and mediation app Headspace, and access to trained mental health first aiders who offer support “and a confidential ear if needed”.

If you recently started doing remote work, how has it impacted you?

2 Likes