Software for photographers and filmmakers (general discussion)

Hey,

just wanting to start a discussion about software especially for photographers and filmmakers.

Generally, those would be plugins for image editing software (Photoshop, etc.) or video editing software (Premiere, Davinci Resolve, etc.) or even standalone software (some are both).

I noticed that those are pretty good (passive) income options as the target group is willing to spend a lot of money for this kind of software.

But of course, it is much much more complicated than webdev (frontend, backend) and the ecosystem, especially around learning resources, guides, tutorials, documentation is not nearly on the same level as modern web based topics.

For example, if I’d like to create a plugin for Davinci Resolve, that loads certain data (either from video file, or xml) and creates an overlay visualization that can be put on top of the video, I would have no clue where to even start.

This entire field of software development is so opaque to me.

What are your thoughts or even experiences with that?

3 Likes

An easier route into the world could be selling Look Up Tables (LUTS)?

But yeah I think the market is quite big and I love how we are getting more alternatives now, like Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher and others such as Sketch. I do think however when you get to that level you will almost certainly require a team. Plugins for them should be easier though, or, go down the iOS route - where the frameworks probably make creating such apps more accessible?

1 Like