Software complexity demands on Software Devs

As I was reading this article I was thinking about how much I missed desktop apps from 20 years ago. If anyone asked a me a question that pertained to the business logic of the app or data in the database, the answer to that question was just a few keystrokes away.

https://www.infoworld.com/article/3639050/complexity-is-killing-software-developers.html

2 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

The growing complexity of modern software systems is slowly killing software developers. How can you regain control, without losing out on the best these technologies have to offer?

Sound like a good article I have bookmarked it for later :023:

I agree with the premise - and why I think tech like Phoenix’s LiveView is so important - to help simplify things.

1 Like

“Essential is the complexity in the business domain you are working in, the fact that enterprises are extremely complicated environments, so the problems they are trying to solve are inherently complex. The other area is accidental; this is the complexity that comes with our tooling and what we layer on top when solving a problem.”

This quote from the article is on point. All (most?) problems have complexity somewhere or it wouldn’t be a problem to solve. The important thing is to make sure that the only complexity you need to deal with is the essential complexity. Anything that reduces the accidental complexity is only going to help your team (and yourself) build better things faster and with less complexity.

Humans have made some pretty awesome things in the last few decades and I don’t know if that would be possible without some of the tooling developed in that time. Now is our chance to focus on those essential tools and get rid of, simplify, or replace the excess.

2 Likes