Rocket: A Web Framework for Rust

Rocket is a web framework written in Rust. It provides a concise API and is opinionated and feature-rich beyond what you would typically find in a micro-framework.

The project was started by Sergio Benitez in 2016. Sergio used to work at Google and Apple where he worked on Gmail and macOS respectively. In 2014, he helped reduce the system boot-up time of Space X’s Rockets while working on their flight software. Sergio still actively maintains Rocket to this day with rarely a business day passing without a few commits being made to its repository on GitHub.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

4 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

2 Likes

Good news.

2 Likes

How does this compare to Actix? Actix seems to take advantage of Rust’s actor system.

2 Likes

Rust does not have an actor system, there are multiple libraries that implement actor systems however, and no, Actix does not implement an actor system, it’s a standard async library, like rocket or warp or whatever else. Actix and Rocket are both ‘higher level’ in that they have more functionality and addins than lower level libraries like warp and so forth. The big thing about actix is that it is its own ecosystem, where rocket (and warp and the like 20 others) are all built on things like tower, so they can interoperate. No real speed difference between any of them anymore.

2 Likes

Ah that’s interesting… I thought they were implementing one in core.

Wonder how those libraries stack up against the BEAM then : /

1 Like

The standard library includes things only that are necessary for the language to function, for the compiler to function, or that are extremely universal. Actor systems are not, in addition that there are a multitude of ways to implement an actor system, so they are obviously most useful as libraries. :slight_smile:

Well at the very least they will run faster, just depends on how hardy you can make the runtime, and rust handles errors very well so it could potentially be just as robust. I need to play with a few of them sometime and see how they compare… They will almost assuredly take a lot more code to do the same work though, lol, but need to test.

1 Like

I always think back to what Joe said about other languages trying to implement something similar - that it will take them a decade to catch up :lol: although it’s been around 5 years since he said that so they may not be that far behind now (at least those that started 5 years ago, haha!)

Let us know how you get on ODL :023: I am sure they’ll get there eventually, but hopefully we’ll see more innovations coming from the BEAM world at the same time :003:

1 Like