Rise of the Dev YouTubers

It’s great to see how popular some of these channels have become - do you have any favourite YouTuber devs?

1. Ben Awad
  2. Coder Coder
  3. Traversy Media
  4. Dev Ed
  5. Florin Pop
  6. Fireship
  7. DThompsonDev
  8. The Net Ninja
  9. Niall Maher
  10. William Candillon
  11. developerHabits
  12. Tech With Tim
  13. Gary Simon
  14. James Q Quick
  15. Weibenfalk
  16. Kevin Powell
  17. Dennis Ivy
  18. codeSTACKr
  19. Chris Sean
  20. Program With Erik
  21. Swizec Teller
  22. Faraday Academy
  23. Web Dev Simplified
  24. Coding Garden
  25. JavaScript Mastery
  26. Ania Kubów
  27. CodingTutorials360
  28. Caleb Curry
  29. RealToughCandy
  30. Eddie Jaoude
  31. Eleftheria Batsou
  32. Jesse Showalter
  33. Catalin Pit
  34. Justin Mitchel
  35. CoderOne
  36. Ahmed Hadjou
  37. Chau Codes
  38. devmentorlive
  39. Claudio Bernasconi
  40. freeCodeCamp.org
5 Likes

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

I’m amazed that Daniel Shiffman from The Coding Train isn’t there:

I’ve done a couple of this coding challenges: https://omegahm.github.io/codingtrain/

3 Likes

I’ve never watched any kind of developer related content on YouTube beyond talks.

What kind of content do these channels produce? Guides? Tutorials? Live coding?

3 Likes

I’m surprised too looking at how many subscribers he has! I don’t think any of his vids have ever been in my feed either… wonder why.

They’re especially good for mainstream stuff like iOS and frontend dev, especially frontend because it is such a fast-moving topic - with new frameworks or libraries appearing every other day :laughing: for instance there are some that have just come out for Svelte (posted here) - so you end up with fairly recent (up-to-date?) resources.

The Microsoft ones on JS were excellent too, and it was great that no ads showed at all.

They’re definitely worth a look for frontend stuff imo :+1:

2 Likes

I started watching his videos almost two years ago. I really enjoy his approach at coding “recreational” stuff. Like, “Today we’ll be coding pretty circles” and then he just walks you through it. Later videos are then “Today we’ll be using ML to detect whether I’m holding a guitar or a pineapple in my hands”, where he then talks the viewers through neural networks.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty cool Mads :nerd_face: I wonder if we need a thread for our favourite Dev YouTube vids where we can post them?

Might be handy for people like @wolf4earth who haven’t seen any before :smiley:

(Although we can also post any good series or courses in dedicated threads like this JS primer from Microsoft.)

1 Like

This guy is a beast:

Although I cannot fully appreciate how much …

3 Likes

Eli Fieldsteel, with his SuperCollider Tutorials and the latest Coding with SuperCollider: MUS 499C Fall 2020 :desktop_computer: :control_knobs: :loud_sound:

Edit: and I have to mention Ryan Bates for the amazing RailsCasts , plus the author (I’ve been unable to discover his name yet) of The Power of Prolog mindblowing channel.

3 Likes

These 2 channels are also good for frontend devs:

3 Likes

I rarely have time for videos any more, but I’m a big fan of Bruce Tate at Groxio, who combines interviews, coding in Elixir, and some exposure to other programming languages I otherwise would probably never look into:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Groxio/

Mostly I watch conference talks. For me, German Velasco’s recent one on Phoenix LiveView testing was the most directly relevant and applicable thing I’ve seen all year:

4 Likes

I missed your edit previously Patrick, just spotted it (came back to this because of this thread) and had to say I agree 100%!! Railscasts helped me a HUGE deal when I was learning Rails and Ryan is such a lovely guy. He’s actually the person I credit with the Elixir Forum starting too, because his tweet just tipped me over the edge in doing it!

He’s one of my programming hero’s and actually came to my rescue once when a not-so-nice person who shall remain nameless was being nasty on Twitter: here’s the story if you’re interested: Elm syntax in elixir - #17 by AstonJ - Chat / Discussions - Elixir Programming Language Forum I love @OvermindDL1’s advice too:

:rofl:

2 Likes

noice list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another good one is Tim - exclusively C# stuff
https://www.youtube.com/user/IAmTimCorey

2 Likes