Revery - an Electron alternative

Huh, this is interesting. Actually I’m especially interested by Revery as an Electron alternative. How is it coming along?

4 Likes

Good question @malloryerik! I hope you don’t mind but I split your post into a dedicated thread… I also created our portal for Revery:

Also, CC’ing @bryphe in case he misses this :blush:

3 Likes

Interesting—other than onivim are any other apps using it?

1 Like

Thanks @AstonJ for setting up the portal! Glad there is some interest in Revery :smiley:

How is it coming along?

Progress is slow and steady - most of the improvements are driven by Onivim at this time, since it’s the only consumer, and there isn’t really funding for Revery outside of that.

I think there is a lot of potential in the space though - a UI framework that has React principles, but compiles to native code, for native apps.

Interesting—other than onivim are any other apps using it?

AFAIK - Onivim is the only shipping app that uses Revery. Some cool toy apps, like this drum machine Ken Wheeler built for a ReasonConf talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdI10qe06Is (demo is about 25 mins in: https://youtu.be/fdI10qe06Is?t=1494) .

4 Likes

Ken’s drum machine is v.impressive! I wish Revery all the success.

After watching that vid youtube recommended this

What was it like meeting Bill Gates? Could you get him to invest in Revery/Onivim :dollar:

2 Likes

If you do Bryan, get him to join Devtalk too :see_no_evil: I’m sure there’s loads of people here who would love to talk to him :nerd_face:

1 Like

Oh ya, thanks for posting that vid too @Carter :smiley:

What was it like meeting Bill Gates?

Unfortunately I didn’t get to meet him personally… It was an event where he had all the MS interns over at his house (probably 400 or so of us!). I guess he did this every summer, for a while. But as soon as he walked out - he was just like, swarmed, by a cloud of interns. Even still it was an amazing experience to be there. Pretty surreal!

If you do Bryan, get him to join Devtalk too

Oh man I wish I could for you @AstonJ ! :smiley:

2 Likes

I would have been part of the swarm or got up to some sort of mischief like sneaking off to explore his house :joy:

1 Like