Researchers Have Developed a New Kind of 'Unbreakable' Glass

Researchers Have Developed a New Kind of ‘Unbreakable’ Glass.
McGill University researchers, inspired by mother of pearl, have managed to make an incredibly tough form of glass.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

1 Like

Corresponding tweet for this thread:

Share link for this tweet.

1 Like

It seems the use case for glass in consumer electronics is where scratch resistance is most important, rather than strength. No mention of scratch resistance.

2 Likes

Manufacturers might be more focused on scratch-resistance, but personally, I’d rather have an unbreakable display with sacrificial protectors that can be cheaply and easily replaced whenever they get scratched enough to annoy me.

Scratches suck, but cracks are catastrophic. My screen would have to be scratched almost to the point of oblivion to motivate me enough to spend $200+ replacing it, but a single crack after an unfortunate drop is, sadly, enough to move replacement to the top of my priority list.

5 Likes

Entirely agree, a sacrificial protector is fine and cheap, but cracks are deathly…

3 Likes

Right, that’s why, when I get a new phone, I get a tough case that extends at least a mm or so above the screen (and various other features)… and a cheap-ass plastic protector that I know full well I’ll probably have to replace in a couple years or less. (I don’t usually get a new phone that soon.) Originally just cuz I hate glossy screens and wanted to be able to stand the phone up at an angle, now also for a bit of extra protection, mainly on the front.

2 Likes