Recommended toolset for targeting IOS and Android?

I have done small amounts of programming for IOS and for Android, but now I need to create something that works with both.

What are the recommended toolsets to accomplish that for a beginner?

The app will be a simple control device for robots over Wi-Fi.

2 Likes

Flutter might be a good choice,
The same code will run not only on both plataforms but on the browser and desktop as well.
it’s baked by google itself, so you know, “lots of support and tutorials”.

and well, someone might say “but flutter uses dart…”
I don’t think that’s a problem… dart is quite similar to java, javascript and etc so if you code in any of these you can pick it up quite quickly

1 Like

Yes, I agree with @faust about using something like Flutter to deliver apps for both iOS and Android. One of the selling points is that one can share a lot of common code between both platforms. However, you may need to write platform-specific code (i.e. Swift on iOS or Kotlin/Java on Android) if the functionality doesn’t exist within the Flutter SDK.

1 Like

Another option is to use C# and Xamarin.

2 Likes

Kotlin Multiplatform

1 Like

Adammaiken89, That looks like a possibility but there is a warning in the instructions for setting up the environment that reads:
“To write iOS-specific code and run an iOS application on a simulated or real device, you’ll need a Mac with macOS. This cannot be performed on other operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows. This is an Apple requirement.”

I am running on windows, so that doesn’t appear to be a viable option.

1 Like

I’m checking out the c# and xamarin. I have an old MAC Mini that might work as a remote ddvice.

1 Like

Isn’t it recommended to use .NET MAUI now instead of Xamarin?

1 Like

Yes, when I went to the Getting Started info, it talks about using .net Maui.

1 Like

Also, if you start from Xamarin, then later want to migrate the app to .NET MAUI, I read somewhere that is it really a painful process :frowning:

1 Like

fortunately, I’ll be starting from .net maui.

1 Like

I recommend using Flutter for your cross-platform mobile app development, especially since you already have experience with iOS and Android programming. Flutter offers a seamless way to create a single codebase that works on both platforms. Its expressive UI, hot-reload feature, and extensive widget library make it an excellent choice for developing a control device for robots over Wi-Fi. Flutter’s Dart programming language is beginner-friendly, and the framework itself provides comprehensive documentation and an active community for support. This will streamline your development process and allow you to focus on creating a robust and efficient application for both iOS and Android platforms.

1 Like

Looks like the vote is in and flutter is the way to go.

Thank all for the advice.

1 Like

If you need to simulate iOS behaviour, in all cases you need Apple platform, regardless of any toolings.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree with your assessment because one of my friends was able to create and deploy iOS and Android apps for her startup.

1 Like