Real-Time Phoenix (PragProg)

Real-time applications come with real challenges—persistent connections, multi-server deployment, and strict performance requirements are just a few. Don’t try to solve these challenges by yourself—use a framework that handles them for you. Elixir and Phoenix Channels give you the tools you need to be successful. Build applications that thrive for years to come with the best practices found in this book.

Stephen Bussey @sb8244

series editor Bruce A. Tate @redrapids
edited by Jacquelyn Carter @jkcarter

Real-time applications come with real challenges—persistent connections, multi-server deployment, and strict performance requirements are just a few. Don’t try to solve these challenges by yourself—use a framework that handles them for you. Elixir and Phoenix Channels give you the tools you need to be successful. Build applications that thrive for years to come with the best practices found in this book.

Avoid performance pitfalls early in the development lifecycle with a catalog of common problems and their solutions. Build a real-world project using solid application design and testing practices that help make future changes a breeze. Create distributed apps that scale to many users. Break your application before your users do and then deploy and monitor with confidence to reduce outages.

Deliver an exceptional real-time experience to your users, with easy maintenance, reduced operational costs, and maximized performance, using Elixir and Phoenix Channels.

Steve Bussey is a software architect at SalesLoft focused on delivering the best experience possible for sales people and also his fellow engineers. He has written and led development on real-time Elixir applications that power critical features of business software. He is passionate about sharing Elixir due to the positive impact it has had on how he designs and writes applications.

“This is hands down the best book to showcase the power of Phoenix and Elixir. The example application is exciting to build and explore. Steve is the perfect guide while sharing his hard won knowledge to help you make informed decisions about your next project.”

-Amos King, Founder, Binary Noggin and Elixir Outlaws

Don’t forget you can get 35% off with your Devtalk discount! Just use the coupon code “devtalk.com" at checkout :+1:

8 Likes

Hey y’all. Author here!

There has been a great reception to the book over on the elixir forum. Feel free to ask me any questions directly or in this thread. The 35% discount code makes this a great deal!

- Steve

6 Likes

Check out Steve’s blog post about becoming an author.

3 Likes

@sb8244 I’m reading your blog. I have a question, how did you writing style changed after writing the book?

2 Likes

My natural writing style has best been described as “stuffy”. During the book, I worked a ton with my editor to write in an active style.

This was not natural for me, so I do find myself slipping back into my natural writing style pretty frequently. However, I keep the active voice in mind. I try to write content that has more clear progression through its sections and takes the readers to a destination.

3 Likes