Programming Ruby 3.2 (5th Edition): B1.0 page 203, sentences difficult to understand

@noelrappin

page 203, first paragraph, line 2-3 :

ractor. The entrance lines are infinite, and the sending call is guaranteed not to block
for “if this goes wrong you have much larger problems” meanings of “guaranteed.”

I have read again and again and don’t really understood. For what I have experimented until now, I would be satisfied with :

The entrance lines are infinite, and the sending call is guaranteed not to block.

+++++ paragraph 5, last line :

… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … The only
way to get a value into a ractor is via send.

I can imagine “get” as obtaining that a new value is introduced into the ractor, but combined with the following “into” and “send”, I would feel more natural to say set :

The only way to set a value into a ractor is via send.

+++++ paragraph 7, second bullet :

The code block hits a Ractor.recieve call, in which case it waits for a call to send, the

Not clear at first glance. I would say :

in which case it waits for another ractor calling send with this [known] ractor as a receiver, …

known is not indispensable, just to echo the first line of this page.

The sending call is not quite guaranteed not to block, but if it doesn’t block, you almost certainly have bigger problems.

Hmm… how about “The only way to have a value be visible to a ractor is via send.”

How about "in which case it waits to receive another call to send

@noelrappin

Sounds good.

Thanks.